Air Blast/Chip Clearing Command

j-kelley

J.Kelley
Hello folks,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new Masso unit on my cnc mill. I recently purchased one of the tool setters with an air blast wand on it to aid in clearing chips from the contact surface. I've wired up a pneumatic solenoid valve and would like to have one of the relay outputs activate it during autozeroing with the tool setter. That's my situation....

The tool setter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYGDU3K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would anyone know what I would need to do to satisfy this? I'm not at all a scholar where G and M codes are concerned, so forgive my ignorance if I've overlooked something. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I know it's possible on other systems, just not certain if the Masso has a work-a-round.

Thank you so much for your help!

Jason Kelley

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Hi Jason,

I'm not really sure what the answer is here. This is my best guess.

Setting up an output to send the blast of air should be easy but how you integrate it with the tool change is another matter.

Here is one thing that might work for you. I am assuming that the toolsetter is in a fixed location with the air nozel pointed at it.

You can set up any relay output but I am picking on Relay 1 for this example. You will probably not be able to run your air solenoid direct off of the Masso relay output as it will probably exceed the current the Masso can supply. In this case you will need to add an intermediate relay or drive circuit. (relay would be the easiest)
  • In screen F1 set Relay 1 as M62/M63 P1 output
  • Edit your post processor to output the following command when it gives a tool change by adding the 3 commands in front of the tool change command. T# M6
  • M62 P1 (Turn on Air blast relay)
    G04 P1000 (leave on for 1 second )
    M63 P1 (Turn off Air blast relay)

then follows the standard tool change command
  • T# M6 (T# = tool number you want to change too)

This should then do what you want. It will turn on the air for length of the dwell command an turn it off the machine will then execute the tool change. Time is in milliseconds.

It will all depend on your Cam software how easy it is to modify the tool change command but this is what I would try first. If you are using VCarve pro or Aspire I can help with the post processor as I am familiar with them.

Hope it work for you

Cheers

Peter

pinoy-cnc

Pinoy CNC
Quote from MASSO Support on January 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Hi Jason,

I'm not really sure what the answer is here. This is my best guess.

Setting up an output to send the blast of air should be easy but how you integrate it with the tool change is another matter.

Here is one thing that might work for you. I am assuming that the toolsetter is in a fixed location with the air nozel pointed at it.

You can set up any relay output but I am picking on Relay 1 for this example. You will probably not be able to run your air solenoid direct off of the Masso relay output as it will probably exceed the current the Masso can supply. In this case you will need to add an intermediate relay or drive circuit. (relay would be the easiest)
  • In screen F1 set Relay 1 as M62/M63 P1 output
  • Edit your post processor to output the following command when it gives a tool change by adding the 3 commands in front of the tool change command. T# M6
  • M62 P1 (Turn on Air blast relay)
    G04 P1000 (leave on for 1 second )
    M63 P1 (Turn off Air blast relay)

then follows the standard tool change command
  • T# M6 (T# = tool number you want to change too)

This should then do what you want. It will turn on the air for length of the dwell command an turn it off the machine will then execute the tool change. Time is in milliseconds.

It will all depend on your Cam software how easy it is to modify the tool change command but this is what I would try first. If you are using VCarve pro or Aspire I can help with the post processor as I am familiar with them.

Hope it work for you

Cheers

Peter

hi Peter,

i can used also this on ATC to blast before picking up the tools?

thanks

Rex