Another Multicam IIs conversion

ross-n

Ross N
Hello

I have a Multicam router very similar to the router in the thread started by Blaze recently but as far as I can tell more closely similar to the conversion done by TayloredTech a few years back. Both threads will no doubt be helpful as I convert mine however I hope to keep my steppers and only change drivers, unlike Blaze who is changing the steppers and drivers, and intend to use the Masso G3 touch, unlike TayloredTech who used the G2 controller and different drivers than I have selected below. Before I order the controller, pendant and probably relays from Masso and drivers elsewhere I have a few questions to help make sure I'm ordering components that give me the best chance for a smooth changeover. I will be using G-Code from SolidWorks so should also confirm there is a postprocessor available for SolidWorks.

My stepper are the 4PS Precision & Speed LTD steppers for which I cannot find any data other than the specs on the motors, and the drivers are AXYZ AXI drivers. I have attached the only info I can find on the drivers which is not all that helpful.

My first question is about the Masso G3 touch:

My router has a linear tool changer that I hope to use with the Masso. The tools index along a rack driven by a 4th stepper which is the same 4PS Precision & Speed LTD as the 3 driving the X,Y,Z. Note that each axis is only driven by one stepper. Do I need to buy the 4 axis version of the Masso G3 Touch in order to drive the tool changer carousel?

My second question is to do with driver compatibility with the Masso G3 Touch with respect to ensuring good resolution and torque at low speed and also good fast jogging / homing speeds:

I am considering the Gecko G213V DIGITAL STEP DRIVES which includes a 'morphing' function which I understand is designed to automatically adjust the microstepping to ensure that the full torque potential of the steppers being driven can be achieved over a wide range of speeds. I am hoping that when receiving signals from the Masso G3 Touch this translates to fast jogging and cutting without sacrificing torque and max torque available at slow speeds without sacrificing smooth operation (or accuracy) at low speeds. If I am correct this morphing happens on board the G213V driver and does not require anything unusual from the Masso G3 Touch.

If any one can shed light on the above I will be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7021.jpg
    IMG_7021.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7029.jpg
    IMG_7029.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 47
  • AXYZ-AXI-Stepper-Driver.jpg
    AXYZ-AXI-Stepper-Driver.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 54

ross-n

Ross N
So my first roadblock might be the post processor. I use Solidworks and the inbuilt CAM to generate code. I see there are no specific post processors for SolidCAM + Masso. I read another post that mentioned the use of the Fanuc II post processor 'with some editing'.

Has anyone had success posting from SolidCAM to Masso and if so how have you managed this?

Thanks.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@ross-n

Ross,

What post processor are you using with SolidWorks at the moment?
Upload it so I can see if I can "edit" it to suit MASSO.

Regards,

Arie.

ross-n

Ross N
Nice one Arie

Thanks very much that would be awesome. I use an AXYZ PP that has been working well for me.

When looking at the tool change commands it might be worth knowing; my router has a linear tool changer and I looked at the MASSO linear type 1 and 2 tool changer tutorial videos. My tool changer has one tool change position and a carriage that indexes along (parallel to the y axis or short end of the table) to the load/unload position. So I am wondering whether the umbrella type tool change setup will end up being my base when it comes time to set that up. But that's down the track.

PP attached.

Again, thanks very much for taking a look.

Attachments

• AXYZ_ROUTE.zip
    33.3 KB · Views: 42

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@ross-n

Ross,

Sorry unable to help, the postprocessor main file is a binary file that can't be edited.
You'll need to get in contact with SolidWorks a get them to create a PP for MASSO.

Your TC is different to all the TC's in our list, I'll discuss it with our design engineer at our next team meeting.

Regards,

Arie.

ross-n

Ross N
@breezy

In addition to your suggestion asking that SW provide a PP for MASSO, which I don't hold out too much hope for, I wonder if there is an alternative solution.

I read over on this thread https://www.masso.com.au/forums/topic/post-processors-solidworks-with-hsmxpress/ that the fanuc.cps Generic FANUC PP seems to work with Fusion 360. In that case do you think a Solidworks / Fanuc PP would do the trick with MASSO?

I've attached a file with some sample G code generated of a simple pocket with the FANUC PPs I have installed. I have also included the PPs. Are you able to take a look and let me know if any of these can be edited to suit MASSO?

Thank you

Attachments

• FANUC-PP-TESTS.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

blaze

blaze
I was in touch with the masso in regard to the tool changer (like the one on mine) and no it can not be used with masso. Apparently too much effort to get to work. So my plan was to mount just a normal linear tool changer above the existing tool changer mounted to either the table or the guide rails on the side. This way just have to input where the tool is and where the touch plate is. No motion with the liner actuators etc. The simple way i guess :)

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@ross-n

Ross,

Your unit is a "straight" version of the rotary one, it still pushes a tool up through the dust cover. I think selecting the Umbrella TC will work for it too.
Just need to select the correct settings in the setup screen.

Regards,

Arie.

blaze

blaze
Quote from Breezy on August 7, 2021, 12:06 am

@blaze

Yours is the same as Ross's and the Umbrella TC logic should work.

Regards,

Arie.

Yer @breezy the same one. I will have to try and get that all working if I can. Otherwise, I will just mount a static one where it sits now...Would be nice to get it to work though ...

65pXV7J.jpg

WzBfA4b.jpg

ross-n

Ross N
So as I compile a shopping list for my conversion I have a question regarding the stepper drivers currently installed in my machine.

At this point I remind myself of my goals, the major reason I am upgrading is to do away with ToolPath software and the ancient PC interface. At this stage I'm not trying to improve resolution or install more powerful motors. I'm not necessarily trying to save money, but I'm also not against avoiding spending money where I don't need to. Perhaps down the track I'll decide to change the steppers and drivers.

So that brings me back to the where I started this thread, with a question about the existing steppers and drivers. I can't find much info on the steppers and drivers except for a few passing comments here and there on forums.

The drivers have the DIP switch set to 1600 microsteps (8 times microstepping). I've attached the only data sheet I can find. There are only 3 step and direction pins (1 x Step, 1 x Direction and 1 x +5V). I guess this means the driver is a common positive. Would that mean I connect the +5v pin on the driver to a +5v source (on MASSO or not?) and the step pin on the driver to - step on the MASSO axis and direction pin on the driver to the - direction on the MASSO axis? If so, I guess I leave the + step and + direction connectors on the MASSO empty.

I don't mind buying new drivers but since these once are working with the current steppers (again, for which I cannot find data sheets) I figure since they are already a proven match it makes sense to give them a go.

Thanks

Attachments

• AXYZ-AXI-Stepper-Driver.jpg
    AXYZ-AXI-Stepper-Driver.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 46

ross-n

Ross N
After more reading my best guess for this driver is to connect it the same as shown in the wiring diagram for connecting the gecko-g340 drivers https://docs.masso.com.au/setup-and-calibration/axis-servo-stepper-examples/gecko-g340 . This is different to what I described in my previous message.

Am I correct understanding that the -5v of the 5v power supply is connected to the same black GND terminal on the MASSO as the 24V power supply for the MASSO? I've added this into the gecko 340-diagram below and also replaced the gecko with the AXI driver and have indicated the same wiring connections. Does this look correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• AXI-driver-hookup.png
    AXI-driver-hookup.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Hi Ross N

That looks right to me.
I'm with you, there's no point replacing the drives unless they cause problems which I don't think is the case.

Cheers Peter

ross-n

Ross N
Well I'm committed now. MASSO Touch and a few extra goodies have arrived and so far I have the X,Y, Z jogging using the existing steppers and drivers. I'm using a separate 24V power supply for the MASSO and another 5V for the stepper drivers. I'm using the original 45V output for the steppers.

My first confusion was the need to connect a keyboard to the G3 so I could login and change the orientation from the default horizontal (which has no onscreen keyboard) to vertical (which has the onscreen keyboard). My second was a brainfart swapping the step and direction outputs on the MASSO to the drivers. It's amazing how I checked and doublechecked my diagram and then just connected them wrong! I'm glad that this seems not to have caused any lasting issues.

Now it's time to calibrate each axis properly. Default motion settings for the machine are shown below. Acceleration is given as a distances in mm and not values in mm/sec^2. Is there an easy way to derive the acceleration values in mm/sec^2 MASSO requires from the distances in mm shown in the manual for my machine?

@makeitcreative and @blaze What are your settings?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Motion-Settings.jpg
    Motion-Settings.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 47