Bridgeport Interact Series 1

drcage

DrCage
Hello! This is just going to be me thinking out loud so I have no idea if it will make much sense!

The basic plan is to strip out all the old electronics, then replace it all with DMM servos/drives and the Masso.

These machines come with a huge mechanical variable speed setup in the head, planning to remove all that and replace with a VFD or servo/spindle setup.

I'll be doing most programming offline (Fusion 360 and Mastercam)

The machine has flood coolant and automatic oiling so will control those through the Masso.

I run Hurco machines at work and have grown accustomed to their controls for manual movement etc so will be trying to emulate those as best as I can.

Electronics is without a doubt my weak point, but fundamentally this all seems quite simple and I'm ready to learn!

Added a random picture from Google, mine is currently hidden away in the back of a workshop!

drcage

DrCage
Disclaimer: I have no idea how feasible this stuff is or how stupid my ideas might be!
Been thinking more about what I want from the control setup and how to do it, the standard Masso controls through keyboard/mouse and the MPG pendant Look perfect to get going, but if possible I would like to add my own setup at some point.

For manual control I would love something similar to the Hurco control I use at work, I added a picture. Most of it is pretty standard for the various MPG pendants etc that are available, but something that never seems to be an option is the adjustable jog feed. That's the knob that goes from 10%-150%. You set a jog feed on the control, 99% of the time mine is set to 10,000mm/min, then use the knob to adjust the feed as you use the + and - buttons to move the machine.

In practice all this really means is that I don't actually have separate rapid and feed jog rates, I just use the knob to adjust as an when I need to.

As far as I can see, you can do all of this through the Masso with on screen stuff and keyboard shortcuts, how possible is it to have these as physical controls? As an addition to the standard keyboard setup.

Apart from that, everything else is already available or should be easier to implement... I think!

I don't use a lot of functions of the control, main ones for me are:

• Axis select
  • Jog feedrate
  • - / + feed
  • MPG resolution select
  • MPG wheel

And the most important button on the whole machine for me is Feed Hold! Although I don't use the one on the pendant, it's part of the main control which isn't in the picture. The Cycle Start and Feed hold are big physical buttons on the control, right next to each other, really should have got a picture of the rest of it!

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
There are a lot of versions of pendants out there with different options. It depends on how the controller is designed and setup. We can also add things such as feedrate on the pendant but with the current model, the pendant wiring is using up all input signals.

drcage

DrCage
Quote from MASSO - Support on March 20, 2018, 4:46 am

There are a lot of versions of pendants out there with different options. It depends on how the controller is designed and setup. We can also add things such as feedrate on the pendant but with the current model, the pendant wiring is using up all input signals.

And each pedant is setup for certain controllers right? Most seem to be advertised for Mach3 etc. Like I say I've never seen one with the setup I want anyway. Much prefer the simpler type like yours compared to the more complicated ones.

Can the Masso recognise a 2nd keyboard? Or some way to have 2 sets of keys with same function. If so, then I could make a panel just using the keys I need. Sorry if these are dumb ideas!

I really do LOVE the simplicity of the of the whole setup of the Masso, software, MPG etc, truly awesome what you have done! So please don't think I am complaining!

I know everyone wants touchscreen everything these days, but having actual physical buttons for machine movement is much more important to me!

drcage

DrCage
Quote from MASSO - Support on March 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Feedback is always welcome and that is how we are always trying to make things simpler and easier for the users.

You can actually assign inputs on the MASSO as different functions, please see this link: https://www.masso.com.au/docs/masso-cnc-controller-documentation/setup-and-calibration/inputs-list/

Real life has been getting in the way recently but still interested!

Ah ok that's perfect, seems I was misunderstanding what the inputs do! After a bit more research I think I am getting it.

Using the inputs and the MPG would give me a setup very similar to the standard controls of the machine so would be fine.

Thanks!

ljs66bug

ljs66bug
DO it s easy keep the variable speed on it it help if you need to slitly ajust the spindl speed I also have a vfd controlling the speed but right now Masso dosnt have backlash comp yet so you will be limited on your machines backlash it has I got lucky and found a Laguna mill already converted to a cnc so it has 0 backlash ballscrews but there old so I have .005 of backlash in my x axis I can send you shots on my electronics I m useing clearpath servos so makes it simpler because the drivers are on the servos and there insane cost more then the machine did but have never lost a step there flowless

madi

madi
hi dr cage. and masso also, I am currently start convert my Bridgeport Interact Series 1, is any way that masso controller control those huge mechanical variable speed and also the brake for spindle, I plan to re use it. its control by couple of pneumatic valve.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
The VFD control should be the same, regarding the brake, the Z axis motor drive should have some signals that controls the brake on the motor as the brake is controlled by the drive itself.

deese

Deese
Quote from DrCage on March 16, 2018, 7:46 am

Hello! This is just going to be me thinking out loud so I have no idea if it will make much sense!

The basic plan is to strip out all the old electronics, then replace it all with DMM servos/drives and the Masso.

These machines come with a huge mechanical variable speed setup in the head, planning to remove all that and replace with a VFD or servo/spindle setup.

I'll be doing most programming offline (Fusion 360 and Mastercam)

The machine has flood coolant and automatic oiling so will control those through the Masso.

I run Hurco machines at work and have grown accustomed to their controls for manual movement etc so will be trying to emulate those as best as I can.

Electronics is without a doubt my weak point, but fundamentally this all seems quite simple and I'm ready to learn!

Added a random picture from Google, mine is currently hidden away in the back of a workshop!

I can offer some insight to controlling the spindle motor with a vfd. I pulled out the variable speed sheeves on my manual mill,and retrofit it with a timing belt drive and vfd. There is a problem with it, if you study servo motors and motor controls very long you will hear about "Dynamic range" Which the way I understand it is the rate a motor loses power as you operate it further outside its intended rpm. perm magnet ac servo motors have excellent dynamic range,and you find those as spindle motors on most cnc machines in industry. The squirrel cage induction motor obviously has some dynamic range when controlled by vfd,and there are several control strategies in your better drives that improve performance. But on to my example,my milling machine. It is 3hp, I set the ratio of the pulleys to give me 1000 rpm in high range, operating the motor at full speed 60hz. I use around 1000 rpm regularly,thats why I set it up that way. Ok 1000 rpm is not fast,Its not fast enough to drill with a 1/4" drill really. Ok so at 1000 rpm 60hz motor frequency I have full motor power no problems, now as I reduce the speed the power falls off sharply. By the time the spindle speed is down to 200 rpm I can very easily stall the spindle with a 1/2" drill. Thats the ugly truth of the dynamic range of my motor/controller combo. The vfd is a lenze by the way, and I am using the best algorithm that they have in my drive for machine tool applications. Now imagine if you wanted 3500 rpm max spindle speed,you wouldnt have the mechanical advantage of the pulley ratio and by 2000 rpm your spindle is weak as a lamb. So this is a trap for us retrofitters, and cnc enthusiasts. The lure of infinite speed control for the cost of a vfd is very tempting, but in real world application its not that simple. As a side note: There is nothing like stalling your spindle and watching the machine drag your facemill across the part and break the inserts that you paid 25$ each for.