Can't find screen to calibrate axis

metzenovich

Metzenovich
If you press F1 you should see it listed on the left hand side (separate for each axis), about 4 or 5 items down.

Note that you have to configure all of the axis, even if they aren't being used. I had a 4 axis machine and only configured X, Y, and Z and MDI wouldn't work (even though jogging and homing did) until I gave the A axis some bogus, non-zero numbers. Then it worked.

jim-in-michigan

Jim in michigan
@metzenovich

I tried setting it to what the screen says. I jogged to a starting point, zero the axis then put a indicator and 123 block, zero the indicator then jog to zero the indicator, the readout says it on travels .265 of an inch.

metzenovich

Metzenovich
Try using the wizard on the axis setup screen to help you get the right value for the distance per revolution. That will be different depending on your machine.

peter35

Peter35
I have used the axis setup on two masso's and also used to do it with Mach3, so much easier than trying to measure leadscrew pitch and pully diameters etc.

metzenovich

Metzenovich
Very true. For me the number came out to be like 7.93568 (similar but slightly different on all 3 axis) so I rounded it to 8 (which is probably the actual pitch for the leadscrews). I'm finishing up a few things before I can do some test cuts and measure to make sure it's accurate. If needed I can run the wizard again or tweak the numbers mathematically.

So far I'm very happy with Masso.

jim-in-michigan

Jim in michigan
@metzenovich

I can't say if I like masso or not I like how fast it boots up. What I got is a 39 tooth sprocket on the ball screw a 20 tooth on stepper motor. On the setup page the top motor distance per rev. Is that with the motor connected to the ball screw?

I also have trouble, the home machine yellow light is off and I never got the mach. to home. Do I get the calibrating done first then work on the homing issue? Thanks

Ross

Ross
Jim, I would get the homing to work first,

when i did my plasma table i couldn't use the wizard, so i got it to move 50 mm and then adjusted the axis numbers till i got it close!

Then i increased the travel 1000 mm and measured it (Being a safe distance cause i have 2500 mm Y axis.)

When i command it to do 2500 mm it stops on the dot, once fine tuning the numbers.

You might be able to do the same! I think you have a lathe, if so find the longest set of calipers for final fine tuning.

Hope it helps.

metzenovich

Metzenovich
Quote from Jim in michigan on January 31, 2020, 1:39 pm

Is that with the motor connected to the ball screw?

For a CNC the distance per revolution is how far the gantry moves (in the units shown) in that direction per revolution of the stepper motor. So it takes into account everything that happens between the motor and the gantry (it doesn't care how many teeth, etc, as it's only concerned about the initial input from the motor and the final output at the gantry and what happens in between, as long as it's consistent, doesn't matter).

In order to get the machine to home you need to be able to at least jog all of the axis's involved, and none of the axis configs can have zero in the distance per revolution or steps per revolution fields (even unused axis). So you at least need reasonable, functioning values in the axis config. If they're way off you won't be able to home (or it will take forever and maybe timeout).

Once you can jog them all, the next thing you need is the endstop sensors working, with the proper high/low.

Have you watched the CNC Nutz Masso videos on homing and axis configuration? They were very helpful to me.

evermech

evermech
I always do my calibration the mathematical way, I like to no precisely how much travel I am getting per pulse of the controller

Guy

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from Jim in michigan on January 31, 2020, 1:39 pm

What I got is a 39 tooth sprocket on the ball screw a 20 tooth on stepper motor. On the setup page the top motor distance per rev. Is that with the motor connected to the ball screw?

I also have trouble, the home machine yellow light is off and I never got the mach. to home. Do I get the calibrating done first then work on the homing issue?

Jim,

You use the gearing information to calculate the theoretical distance the axis will move for one revolution of the motor and place that in the top box of the axis setup. This will get you moving to test your jogging and homing.
Quote from Jim in michigan on January 31, 2020, 7:06 pm

I tried the cal. wizard, when I click finish the cal. it doesn't change any of the numbers. I would like to know how close can you get a axis to go the dist. you want?

I tried setting it to what the screen says. I jogged to a starting point, zero the axis then put a indicator and 123 block, zero the indicator then jog to zero the indicator, the readout says it on travels .265 of an inch.

When I first tried to use the wizard, I messed it up but then it all made sense and I got the axis tuned to about 0.1mm in 1000mm. You just need a method to measure the distance moved accurately. The wizard is easy to use, follow the steps as outlined in the documentation, you can jog back and forth to get to your second measurement point and the longer the distance between points is best. When you press calculate, the wizard will return with the distance/rev updated, it maybe a very small amount from the calculated value that you entered at the start.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arie.