Connecting ClearPath to MASSO

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
Wiring the ClearPath SD motor to MASSO board is rather straight forward... for wires 2,6,3, and 7. But what to do with 5,1,4, and 8? I am using IPC-5 power box ... it does not have +ve and -ve inputs... Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks!

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from michaelmorris on May 29, 2019, 4:47 am

But what to do with 5,1,4, and 8? I am using IPC-5 power box ... it does not have +ve and -ve inputs... Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks!

If you are referring to this image

MASSO-Clearpath-Wiring-Alarm-and-Enable-v1.png

the +ve & -ve are outputs from the power supply powering your MASSO. So connect the red wire to the MASSO +ve terminal and the black to the MASSO -ve terminal.

Regards,

Arie.

simjim33

simjim33
This is what I used. you can make a common block for the negatives (or grounds) out of chock block.

Same for the positives.

Also i would recommend the wiring leads you buy from teknic.

Attachments

• Masso_Wiring.pdf
    989.1 KB · Views: 42

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
Thanks for the responses! I do have a few clarifying questions...

I am using an old power adapter to run the MASSO (works fine). See pic...

I have three motors that need to be wired. Am I to assume they all three get wired to the same place as it relates to wires 1, 4, and 8?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9703.jpg
    IMG_9703.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 25

simjim33

simjim33
what else are you wiring into that supply?

becaus those things are a little wimpy.

Do you know what I mean by chock block!

It looks like this.

also only leave the IPC-5 to power the Motors. Don t take 75v to the masso.

Attachments

• 5E17CE0C-8104-43EE-B3CD-3A1FA4C1A79B.jpeg
    5E17CE0C-8104-43EE-B3CD-3A1FA4C1A79B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
The wimpy power adapter I'm using is ONLY connected to the MASSO board. :)

I did look up "chock block" on the internet and found them. Are they meant to facilitate hooking more than one wire to an input?

I have two IPC-5 power units. One to power x and y axis. One to power y.

Just concerned about so many wires going into the power supply of the MASSO...

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
From @breezy

"the +ve & -ve are outputs from the power supply powering your MASSO. So connect the red wire to the MASSO +ve terminal and the black to the MASSO -ve terminal."

According to diagram on Tecnik site, the black (2) goes to MASSO S+ and the red goes to one of the 32 inputs...

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-05-29-at-5.20.29-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-05-29-at-5.20.29-PM.png
    329 KB · Views: 42

simjim33

simjim33
Ref chock block.

yes take the + and - from your power supply and daisy chain down one side of those connectors.

On the plus side you will need 4 terminals. Three for motors and one for e stop.

On the minus side make as many as you can. From memory you will need at least 12 (I think. Check Hlaps diagrams)

every thing that links to ground goes to the - chock block daisy chain.

On both the + and - chock blocks the last position goes to your masso.

If I get time today I will make a sample block up to show you.

Another note. On the + side don t daisy chain the first to connections as they will go to your estop.

I have a personal idea about that. But for the sake of this I would reference the masso way of doing it.

But follow the hlaps diagram for masso clearpath set up. He did a good job on that.

simjim33

simjim33
For the avoidance of doubt this is how you connect everything with the Hlaps diagram.

Assuming of course you have used the cables from clearpath. If not your colours will be different.

Attachments

• A40377AE-2ACA-443F-B6E1-007A04401472.png
    A40377AE-2ACA-443F-B6E1-007A04401472.png
    258.2 KB · Views: 31

simjim33

simjim33
Ok so durring a tea break I knocked up this.

this is simple but it works.

the first picture is the one for you + side.

the blue wires are there instead of your e stop. You would also have to wire up your estop to its pins on the board.

To this little chain you also connect #4 (blue wire) from your clearpath Cable one for each motor.

Attachments

• B2E1024C-88A3-407F-B483-D2A1F6D5BC83.jpeg
    B2E1024C-88A3-407F-B483-D2A1F6D5BC83.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28

simjim33

simjim33
The second photo here.

shows how to connect the - side of your supply.

So #5 (red) and # 8 (green) conect from your motor to this daisy chain.

Also any thing else that needs to be ground should work for this too. Including home and limit switches.

Dont forget to wire the bottom of the + and - daisy chains to the masso.

other wise it won t get power.

The #1 (green) goes to input. One for each motor.

Attachments

• 5D5D3856-FECF-4986-9A49-A3814142DDF9.jpeg
    5D5D3856-FECF-4986-9A49-A3814142DDF9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
Simjim33, thanks a million for the help and pictures. I believe I understand what I need to do now.

Can I buy Emergency Stop Button from Amazon or does it need to be the sold by MASSO?

Thank you again, to EVERYONE who helped me work this out. You guys are awesome!

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
Thanks Clover!

Can someone tell me what the circled items are and what they do (in pic)?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 34

simjim33

simjim33
No problems.

Not to muddy the waters.

But I personally would not wire up the estop the way I discribed.

It cuts power to the masso.

You can always change it later. You could also use a double pole with the contact normally open wired to the masso.

so if the E stop is used it concects power back to the masso but the switch time would have to engage before the normally closed was activated. Or you could just run a wire down to the + on the masso from the top daisy chain piont. Just needed to piont that out.

E stop will shut down the masso as the above is rigged currently.

michaelmorris

michaelmorris
Quote from simjim33 on May 30, 2019, 8:45 am

For the avoidance of doubt this is how you connect everything with the Hlaps diagram.

Assuming of course you have used the cables from clearpath. If not your colours will be different.

Wonder why Hlaps diagram is so much different than the one on this (MASSO) site. Are there several different ways to wire ClearPath motors to the MASSO board?

Makes me a bit nervous....

simjim33

simjim33
Hlaps and masso are Basicly the same. Masso Sponcers his you tube channel.

like I mentioned though from the top of your daisy Chain run a wire directly to you masso on the + side. That way the Esrop won t cut power to the masso then. If I go to the shop today I will show you what I mean with our chock block set up.