Connection of Chinese Router

rossco

rossco
I am presently upgrading an old Chinese CNC Router;

The Stepper Drives are YASKAWA SGDM-10ADA, URL to Stepper Driver http://www.servo-driver-motor.com/p...GMGH/SGMSH/SGMDH/SGMCS&brandid=4&DownloadID=0

Stepper Motors SGMGH-09ACA61

The original controller is a PMDX-122 rev D, URL to PMDX manual https://www.pmdx.com/Doc/PMDX-122_Manual_112.pdf

The controller has Step and Direction, and Common output

Can you please advise if I need to wire the Common Output to the Stepper Drive and if I do do I connect to the -24V feed.

Appreciate any advice

zombieengineer

ZombieEngineer
@rossco - The SGDM-10ADA is not a stepper motor driver but a servo motor driver (servos are more desirable than steppers).

The diagram in section "6.3.2 Position Control Mode" is the relevant wiring arrangement for use with Masso.

Ideal wiring (if you have access to every terminal in CN1):
  • Masso Axis S+ => SGDM-10ADA PULS (CN1, Terminal 7, Yellow-Red, 1 dot)
  • Masso Axis S- => SGDM-10ADA /PULS (CN1, Terminal 8, Yellow-Black, 1 dot)
  • Masso Axis D+ => SGDM-10ADA SIGN (CN1, Terminal 11, Orange-Red, 2 dots)
  • Masso Axis D- => SGDM-10ADA /SIGN (CN1, Terminal 12, Orange-Black, 2 dots)

Alternative wiring:
  • Masso Axis S+ => STEP in previous wiring
  • Masso Axis D+ => DIR in previous wiring
  • Masso GND => COM in previous wiring (50% chance that this is correct, no damage should occur if wrong)

If the "alternative wiring" does not result in any motion then things gets a little complicated (will require a +5V voltage regulator of some kind)

rossco

rossco
Many thanks for the response and advice, my apologies you are correct they are servo motors.

Yes I do have full access to all CN1 terminals, as a matter of fact I need to re-create the wiring, I should be able to give this a try over the next day or so.

Cheers

rossco

rossco
I am in the process of re-wiring CN1, in doing so I note the existing Servo Drives had at one time been wired to a number of safety switches to prevent over travel, ie Terminal 42 to prohibit forward run, Terminal 43 to limit reverse travel. I am incorporating MASSO homing sensors. My question is should I re-establish these safeties as a back up or does the MASSO homing sensors make them redundant.

Terminal 27 is used as an indicator light

Terminal 31 Alarm

Terminal 30 24Volt Common

Terminal 40 Servo On

Terminal 44 Alarm Reset

Terminal 47 24 Volt +ve supply

Appreciate any advice.

Once this is sorted I need to check the Servo Drive programing.

Many thanks

Rossco

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@rossco

Rossco,

When you setup MASSO axes, two of the settings are Maximum, Minimum travel points and MASSO uses these to create soft limits that prevents it from travelling past these measurement points. https://docs.masso.com.au/wiring-and-setup/setup-and-calibration/axis-calibration

Also read the section Axis Configuration and Homing Switches and setting up homing in the Quick Start guides. https://docs.masso.com.au/quick-start-guides/setup-masso-mill

So any limit switches connected to the servo drivers would be redundant.

Certainly connect servo alarms to X, Y, Z, A, B Motor Alarm Input.

Regards,

Arie.

rossco

rossco
Arie:

Many thanks for all the support, I was hopeful they would be redundant and an alternate technology for protection when used with controllers without the flexibility of the MASSO.

It will make life a whole less complex.

Cheers Rossco

zombieengineer

ZombieEngineer
Homing switches double as hard limit switches once homing has been completed.

Reference: https://docs.masso.com.au/wiring-and-setup/setup-and-calibration/soft-and-hard-limits

All homing inputs on MASSO are automatically used as hard limit input. During the homing of the machine these inputs are used to home each axis and once homing is complete, these inputs are used to trigger a hard limit alarm that stops all motion and spindle. A hard limit alarm is flashed on the screen.

crossfire

Crossfire
Quote from ZombieEngineer on December 17, 2020, 12:15 am

@rossco - The SGDM-10ADA is not a stepper motor driver but a servo motor driver (servos are more desirable than steppers).

The diagram in section "6.3.2 Position Control Mode" is the relevant wiring arrangement for use with Masso.

Ideal wiring (if you have access to every terminal in CN1):
  • Masso Axis S+ => SGDM-10ADA PULS (CN1, Terminal 7, Yellow-Red, 1 dot)
  • Masso Axis S- => SGDM-10ADA /PULS (CN1, Terminal 8, Yellow-Black, 1 dot)
  • Masso Axis D+ => SGDM-10ADA SIGN (CN1, Terminal 11, Orange-Red, 2 dots)
  • Masso Axis D- => SGDM-10ADA /SIGN (CN1, Terminal 12, Orange-Black, 2 dots)

Alternative wiring:
  • Masso Axis S+ => STEP in previous wiring
  • Masso Axis D+ => DIR in previous wiring
  • Masso GND => COM in previous wiring (50% chance that this is correct, no damage should occur if wrong)

If the "alternative wiring" does not result in any motion then things gets a little complicated (will require a +5V voltage regulator of some kind)

Thanks Zombie, Been reading for hours trying to solve this problem.