Dual spindle cnc

sourabh

Sourabh
Hey everyone ..

I wanna try making a dual spindle cnc with masso.... But I'm confused if i shoild use 3 axis masso or 5 axis masso... And how should I configure them?

sourabh

Sourabh
I want my that.... The other two x and z axises should work like ....... They should make replica of each other in the work peice.... Like one spindle should make a half circle and simultaneously other one would complete another half circle..... Thus completing the circle...

evermech

evermech
@sourabh

Usually the two spindles are a fixed distance apart and they both cut the exact same thing just 2 different positions on the table. So if one spindle is cutting a circle, the other spindle is also cutting a circle in a different location. 3 axis Masso will do that task fine. If you want both cutters to cut different tool paths simultaneously then you probably want 2 separate machines. Of course you could always be the first to do it.

Guy

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Quote from Sourabh on July 13, 2019, 6:56 pm

I want my that.... The other two x and z axises should work like ....... They should make replica of each other in the work peice.... Like one spindle should make a half circle and simultaneously other one would complete another half circle..... Thus completing the circle...

I'm curious what software you will be using to create the Gcode to run this machine. If you want 2 separate X & Z axis that do 2 different things at the same time it is going to take some pretty decent software to create the GCode unless you are writing it by hand. The ability to synchronize 2 Gantries on the X axis so they don't run into one another is pretty specialized. I've never heard of one but it would be interesting to know what you have. You could call your 2nd X axis the A and your 2nd Z axis the B and that would get you the independence you want but they are on the same Y axis so you are still limited. You could not machine 2 halves of the same circle at the same time as the spindles cannot overlap by a distance larger than the spindle diameter to join the circle. One spindle will have to come back and finish the cut later. I think this would be much slower than doing it with 2 machines with the advantage that if one machine is down for maintenance you have the 2nd still working making your product. It also means that you can be removing your completed piece and loading 1 machine while the other is cutting which would be a more efficient work flow.

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Peter

codearachnidgmail-com

codearachnid@gmail.com
@cncnutz Sorry to resurrect an old thread - curious your thoughts on this.

I am building a similar dual z machine. My plan is Z1 to be for the spindle and Z2 to be for plasma. I am thinking that I reflash Masso when switching between the two applications but curious how to park the other Z and still run the machine. I am also anticipating there may be some benefit to running both Z at the same time but not for cutting operations - but potentially for material loading. See this loading tool

My questions: I assume that flashing between plasma/mill is relatively painless, is there a way to store separate configs to load into the software so that I am not having to reconfigure+setup between operations? Will I need to address the Z axis the same way in both configurations? Such as Z1 will always be default Z and mill spindle while Z2 will always be plasma axis?

nschlee

NSchlee
I have a Multicam Pro 5'x10' (USA) that has 2 spindles. The slaved Z is on a adjustable spreader bar, with the Z's set next to each other, by making a simple change at the controller the machine works a ATC for 2 tools, using a ATC PP. If Z's are spread to a desired spacing the machine can cut using "All" for both Z's cutting the same design. It has individual "touch off" for each Z. Another consideration with this setup, the gantry must be wide enough to allow either spindle to cut the full table width. Don't know if the Masso controller can be configured to do this.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 12
  • CNC-Router.jpg
    CNC-Router.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 15

zombieengineer

ZombieEngineer
@nschlee

Please have a look at this thread where @breezy posted a video of a dual spindle CNC router.

@codearachnidgmail-com

I assume that flashing between plasma/mill is relatively painless, is there a way to store separate configs to load into the software so that I am not having to reconfigure+setup between operations?

Yes - See Save & Load Settings in the on-line documentation.

Will I need to address the Z axis the same way in both configurations?

If it was my setup I would swap the terminal plugs between the Z and A axis when I re-flash the firmware.

I am also anticipating there may be some benefit to running both Z at the same time but not for cutting operations - but potentially for material loading.

Would be interested to see how you would implement this. In the video the gantry is pushing the sheet against stops - stepper / servo motors don't expect to be pushing into immovable objects (they are not generators of irresistible force - something is going to give).

The other aspect (I need to check this - not mentioned in the documentation) is I don't believe the Masso controller supports numerical expressions or conditional statements within g-code (some g-code implementation can specify coordinates as trigonometry expressions). If Masso can support conditional expressions then you could write some g-code to move in a specific direction until a input changes state.