engraving on uneven surface

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
There is no built in functionality within Masso to follow an uneven surface automatically.

Cheers

Peter

machinedude

machinedude
would be helpful to know the exact surface condition? There might be a solution to your problem that could be accounted for if we knew more about the project. uneven surface could be a number of things.

pinoy-cnc

Pinoy CNC
Quote from machinedude on April 8, 2019, 6:38 am

would be helpful to know the exact surface condition? There might be a solution to your problem that could be accounted for if we knew more about the project. uneven surface could be a number of things.

Thanks you for you reply, i am using this in engraving the back of the skateboard for my design. also for engraving PCB.

machinedude

machinedude
PCB are probably not the issue since they are flat stock most likely. A skateboard is another story. So either you are taking a premade skateboard and adding work from that point or you are making the skateboards from scratch? when I think of how skateboards are made I think of forms to add the curves in the board. so you basically have multiple layers of flat stock formed over a mold to create the shape. so I would think the artwork or what ever you are putting on the board would be done before the board actually takes shape in this case. if you knew the exact geometry you might be able to create a 3D tool path with G-code in your program? the 3D tool path method is going to be limited to the complexity of design and the geometry used to work off of.

might be worth while looking into probing in depth? might be able to reverse engineer the board design this way? not my area of expertise though so I would be of little help in this area.

pinoy-cnc

Pinoy CNC
The skateboard is premade and I will engrave it with my design. The problem is the uneven surface of the board, I watch one of mach3 user that used Gcode ripper, and maybe I can try this but the problem Masso is PC less.

machinedude

machinedude
if you could model the board blank as a solid model then wrap the art work on the surface of the model you could use something like fusion 360 and the trace function possibly? all your work can be done on the computer and just post the code to a stick drive and load it to masso that way.

you would need to make a fixture to hold your board blanks first then possible use a probe to get some real numbers to work with for your geometry for a solid model. once that's all done then each board could be altered off the model. once you get a blank solid model I would save that as a separate component. then every time you do a new design just load the component to the design file possibly?

just food for thought.