Flash drive setup

waynep

waynep
Here I go again. Finally got the power box for Masso and was excited about getting it turned on went to format the flash drive BUT, there is no fat32 only exFAT OR NTSF. is exfat same as fat32?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
just checked one of our Win10 machines and its showing FAT32 option, no idea why it won't show on your system.

waynep

waynep
Okay, just tried a smaller USB and there is a fat32 option. Apparently it doesn't work on large storage usbs.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
yes, that must be the case as FAT32 has a size limit, what's the size of the USB you were trying to format?

waynep

waynep
I'll pick up a couple smaller one tomorrow and try it then. I don't have the machine built but wanted to see the Masso come to life.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
you can use some software on windows to make a smaller partition and then you might be able to format it to FAT 32.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Max partition size for FAT32 is 32GB so if your USB stick is bigger than that Windows with only offer exFAT or NTFS as format choices.

exFAT is the same as FAT32 but modified to handle file sizes larger than 4GB.

FAT32 has become de facto standard for sharing files between all OS.

Regards,

Arie.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Depends on what the difference between the two is and how MASSO handles the file system. I've never tried to format a 980GB USB drive to FAT32 or exFAT.

I'm using a 16GB USB and barely used 1% of it, thats keeping multiple copies of firmware and NC files.

Regards,

Arie.