Gcode lines skipping

steelcogs

steelcogs
After sorting out a few issues, I was trying to cut some HDPE on my mill tonight. I'm still learning the mill's limitations so I wasn't sure how fast to cut so I started slow. Worked fine but I needed to up my feedrate to break the chip since the HDPE was just wrapping around the endmill. As soon as I changed the feedrate to 50IPM, the Masso board seems to skip past lines of gcode. This happens on a 2D adaptive interpolation. I haven't pinpointed the exact feedrate it starts at but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 38IPM. I can see that lines are being skipped because it automatically jumps to the end of the program (just on the gcode line-by-line preview) and where it says what line is on jumps. The realtime feedrate monitor also jumps when it should remain at a constant (whatever it's set at). My tower light will also rapidly flash as if the program is being feed held or like if the program has ended.

I wouldn't think this has anything to do with my motors, they're clearpaths and 50IPM is a laugh for them. I had rapids set to 400 (working just fine) but my mill stand just isn't rigid enough for that lol. It just seems like the Masso can't handle all the code coming in at X speed from a circular interpolation. I doubt the board can't handle it, I used to use a CNC router with a small arduino board and that handled intricate 3D gcode just fine.

I'll attach my gcode file and Masso settings file, for gcode I'm using Fusion 360 with the Masso post processor.

Thanks!

Attachments

• interpolation.nc
    524.9 KB · Views: 15
  • MASSO_Settings.htg
    616 bytes · Views: 17

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
so in your gcode file do you know roughly from what line number it jumped from and to what line?

Also as per your machines part do you see some machining missing?

steelcogs

steelcogs
In the gcode the last line I can tell goes through smoothly is line 178. What happens is there is a helix downward into the part (which goes just fine) then a second after the actual adaptive clearing begins (and the gcode lines start flying past) is when it starts to skip. It repeats these holes 6 times throughout the part and does it at 4 depths per hole so it does this once per pass-per hole if that makes sense. So there should be 24 different instances of this occurring in the program (but I haven't run it all the way through on the machine since I was having issues).

And yes, you can absolutely tell there is machining missing, see the attached picture. Holes are out of round and depending on the depth doesn't cut all the way. Mostly just material missed I think, don't think anything was cut oversize.

My theory is that the adaptive clearing is trying to give some ridiculous amount of resolution to the toolpath and it's just too much for the Masso to handle coming at it that fast. But I also imagine the Masso could handle that so who am I to throw theories around lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
is this the part made from your file interpolation.nc ? if not can you please share the same file and we will try to run the same program.

steelcogs

steelcogs
Interpolation.nc is the 6 bigger holes on the left side of the picture. The rest were done previously with a different endmill and at a much slower feedrate so they were no issue. Let me know how the file runs on your end.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
@steelcogs we checked your gcode file and a lot of small circular motion is form of lines rather than arcs and this is causing the system to wait for data from USB.

As a test we have further increased the priority to read data from USB and will email you a test version of the software, can you please run the same gcode file and provide some feedback.

steelcogs

steelcogs
The test software worked! Ran all the lines smoothly. Unfortunately my part ended up being no good but no big deal in the end.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
great @steelcogs and thanks for letting us know, a great start for this week for us :)

@testyourdesign its actually due to the new USB drivers that we have been working on for nearly 1 year now as the chip manufacturer stopped supporting their own USB drivers all the sudden. Due to this we had to rip out the entire old code and add the new USB code which has resulted in some bugs and system fine tuning. For the above issue we will be releasing this fix in the next software update, hopefully this week.