Heavy Metal Grizzly G0619 / SX3L

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
Hello from sunny Florida. My CNC vertical milling machine is a modified Grizzly G0619 with a 27.5 inch long table. I originally set it up to work with the Mach 3 CNC control I built for my router and was constantly switching back and forth but recently converted over to MASSO. The conversion involved removing all the lead screws and replacing them with a ball screw CNC conversion kit from Heavy Metal CNC. I also installed a pair of 50 lb gas struts to counterbalance the weight of the head. I am also about to replace the Spindle Motor with a new 1100 watt BLDC motor that is controlled by a VFD Servo Drive. Here is a list of the main components I used for my build. Hope this helps some else join in the Make with Masso movement!

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
thank you @testyourdesign for sharing the info, this is what makes the CNC community so great, there is so much to learn but at the same time people are willing to help and share helpful information.

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
Quote from MASSO - Support on August 6, 2018, 1:35 am

thank you @testyourdesign for sharing the info, this is what makes the CNC community so great, there is so much to learn but at the same time people are willing to help and share helpful information.

Sure I am glad to help if I can. This is my third build so as they say 3rd times a charm!

harry

Harry
Hi TYD,

I'm in the midst of the same basic build, long bed and all. However I am not pursuing a spindle upgrade as of yet... baby steps.

X & Y are done. I've modified the control box for the Z motor. While I'm at it, I believe I'll go ahead and update for a Z axis counterweight. My Z zips through vertical rapids just fine with just the ball nut. When I attach the dove tail saddle, the motor locks up. It's something to do with the cantilevering of weight on the dovetail - it just wasn't meant to be efficient in that application. I'm going counterweight because gravity don't wear out.

Soon as the Z work is completed, I plan on the LMS speed control update module and a tool height gage.

Control is Mach3 for now, but I'm interested in your MASSO experience.

Oh yeah, the main reason I replied - I'm in NC, USA. How ya doin neighbor?!

HB