Hello from Brisbane.

georgemasso

george@masso
Hello everyone, I'm new to Masso and CNC and hope that I will be able to gain knowledge from fellow members. My apologies upfront for any silly questions. I am a Fitter/Fabricator by Trade with enough electrical knowledge to get into all sorts of trouble. I have experience with Auto Cad and Fusion 360.
I have an Optimum BF46 Vario Milling machine factory fitted with Balldrives that I am converting to CNC. I have fitted Homing and Limit switches on all axis. I have also fitted Clearpath Servo's (CPM-SDSK-3421S-ELS), Pneumatic powered Drawbar, Auto Lube system, Flood and Mist Coolants. I am wanting to build a CNC Milling Machine to accurately fabricate automotive components mainly out of Aluminium.
I have just purchased a Masso Controller and Pendant. I want to start with a basic setup and add VFD control later on. I would Appreciate help with the wiring. I have included an image of my proposed wiring layout.

Thanks
George.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Hi George, the diagram is mostly ok but a few points to check:
  1. The enable signal from estop to clearpath motors should not be more than 5v, so please connect a resistor or run 5v through the switch, please see the motor manual.
  2. For the homing switches, you only need to connect one input per axis, the same input is used to home and also for hard limits.
  3. The axis travel limits can be set using soft limit values in the MASSO setup.

georgemasso

george@masso
Hello Masso,
thanks for your prompt reply. Regarding the Enable Signal being of no more than 5VDC, I have read in the Clearpath manual you can use 5-24VDC. I have included a page from the Clearpath manual. Please have a look and let me know what I should do. If a resistor is required what value should I purchase.
Limit Switches? From what I can understand from your reply, you only need 6 limit switches. One limit switch on each axis used for homing and hard limits, and another limit switch at the other end of each axis used just as a hard limit. I have already fitted the limit switches to the Mill so if there is a way I could use the 6 of them that would be good.

Thanks again.
Cheers
George.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
  1. If the clearpaths take that voltage range then thats good, I was not sure as most of other drives only take 5v max and just wanted to make sure that you do not burn your motors.
  2. Yes for the limit switches, two in pair for each axis will be just fine.