Help with Stepper Driver Setup in MASSO

kiwicnc

KiwiCNC
Hi team,

So after 2 long days of dicking about on the Stepper Driver setups, I have come to the conclusion that TB6600 drivers just doesnt cut it, and neither does the 12V I was trying to drive them with.

I was experience massive stepp drops and egg beater sounds, motors spinning and no movment sometimes. I need to change this.

What I would appreciate some help with is. I not 100% comfortable/confident with the calculations and jjst like I go around in cicles

What do I know:

Mill is a Sieg X2P

The X and Y lead screws are 12mm x 2.0 pitch - research telle me that this makes it 12.7 TPI

The Driver I am going to be installing to is the CW-5045 that gives me Microsteppig Options of 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/125, 1/250

I will be feeding the drivers 36V

What I need help with:

Motor Distance Per Revolution

Drive Pulses per Revolution

I know there is a wizard , but I'd like to learn and understand the theiry and method to calculate the above

Do I use the known 2.0mm pitch as the M:Distoance per Revoulution?

Sorry for all the questions.....but at least Im not on MAch3

heers

Ray

Attachments

• StepperDriver.JPG
    StepperDriver.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 21
  • MotorDist.JPG
    MotorDist.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 20

jolbas

Jolbas
What you also need to know is how many full steps there is per revolution on the stepper motor. Typically it's 200 but not always.

Then you can calculate the amount of pulses the driver needs to run the motor one revolution. Lets say you have 200 full steps on the motor and 125 microsteps on the driver. Then you get 200 x 125 = 25000 pulses per revolution.

You did know the travel distance per revolution to be 2 mm. So if you want you can calculate the amount of needed pulses per mm by divide pulses per revolution with the pitch. I.e. 25000/2 = 12500 pulses per mm.

Don't forget to set the right current on the driver according to the motor specification.

(Edited the wrong number. Thanks @breezy)

jolbas

Jolbas
And if you don't have any speed reducer between the motor and the 2mm pitch screw, then yes, you use the pitch as distance per revolution.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from Jolbas on May 2, 2019, 5:12 am

You did know the travel distance per revolution to be 2 mm. So if you want you can calculate the amount of needed pulses per mm by divide pulses per revolution with the pitch. I.e. 25000/2 = 125000 pulses per mm.

Unfortunately 25,000/2 = 12,500 pulses per mm.

Regards,

Arie.

kiwicnc

KiwiCNC
UPDATE: I love my Masso

Thanks to the MASSO community...in particular Peter (must be a Kiwi thing) , #5 is alive.....and running better than ever

A quick , and very raw video

Functions tested:

X, Y, Z calibrated travel - CHECK

Backlash Compensation - UNCHECK (but there is light at the end of the tunnell)

Homing fcuntion - CHECK

Tool Change - CHECK

Tool Touch Off - CHECK

Now to some of the funky stuff...here comes the weekend

Cheers

Ray

jolbas

Jolbas
If you can measure the length it travels as exactly as possible after telling it to move 100 mm. Then you may get a hint. One problem I had was that the ON sign on the small switches where placed on wrong side. Maybe you can send a picture of the switches.

joshlt

joshlt
Make sure that the voltage setting in the dip switches on the drivers match the voltage on the motors.

kiwicnc

KiwiCNC
Quote from joshlt on May 9, 2019, 1:40 am

Make sure that the voltage setting in the dip switches on the drivers match the voltage on the motors.

I'm hoping you mean amperage....and yep....we are now up and running...and working like a dream