Holes with the Wizard

flytyree

FlyTyree
I am still working the "bugs" out of my machine. When I want holes the dimensions are always to small. So today I used the Wizard to cut .25, .75 and 1.0 inch diameter holes. The results were .227, .725, and .983. So my dowels will not fit. The diameter of the cutter is correct.

I have calibrated the X and Y axis so that the resultant factor was the same twice in a row.

Any suggestions.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
We can look into this, to cross check will you be able to make the same holes using something like fusion and if you have the same issue then there is a calibration issue else if the fusion gcode works well then there is some issue with the wizards.

flytyree

FlyTyree
Using Inventor 2018 with HSM post processing I have the following results:

.750 -- 0.6990

.625 -- .5510

.500 -- .4420

.375 -- .3190

.25 -- .2100

It would appear that my system is at fault but, not sure where to begin.

This brings up another question. In the HSM post processing under the subheading of "Post Configuration" the options is "All Vendors" or select a specific vendor, i.e., "Hind Technology Australia." I have opted for Hind Technology.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
It looks like a calibration issue or simply the tool diameter might be slightly smaller.
  • It will be good if firstly you can check the tool dia.
  • Next if you have a dial gauge then please use it to double check some small movement using MDI commands and see if you get the same results on the dial gauge.

flytyree

FlyTyree
Thank you for your reply.
  1. The correct diameter was used (0.1235)
  2. Attached is the data sheet for the X Y calibration.
  3. Following is the data from the holes made from the Inventor file:
    1. 0.75 - .7290
    2. .625 - .6045
    3. .50 - .4750
    4. .375 - .3565
    5. .25 - .238

4. Attached is a picture of the hole depicted above.
  5. Suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC04475.JPG
    DSC04475.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 19

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Can you please upload the gcode file made in inventor.

Also have you confirmed calibration of your axis to be ok.

flytyree

FlyTyree
Not sure what you mean by confirm calibration. The diagonal dimension is 71 1/8 for each leg. If this is not your question help me.

Thank you.

Clifford

Attachments

• 15000.nc
    15.9 KB · Views: 23

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
basically have you checked with a dial gauge that all your axis movements are fully calibrated and each axis moves the exact distance as given by gcode.

flytyree

FlyTyree
I attached a dial indicator to the bed, as shown by the data sheet, and moved the carriage from a defined zero position into the dial indicator. I tried to be very careful setting this up.

flytyree

FlyTyree
Let me hang my head.

I commanded the carriage to go 30 inches. I then took my steel mechanic square blade and measured 34+ inches. So, I am in the process of re-calibrating and will get back with you.

I made numerous mistakes and the biggest was to "assume" that the read-out was a true measurement.

Clifford

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
No worries, the calibration values for the axis will define how accurate the axis move, so once the axis movements are calibrated then things should work fine.