home position setting and saving problems

gok

GOK
Hello Sir. ?
could you help me?
I am having a hard time figuring out correct axis configuration in my Masso controller?
  1. My x axis and my y axis s are 852mm total thread length, with a 5mm lead, 480mm travel ball screws.
  2. My Z axis is a 150mm total thread length, 2mm lead, 100mm travel ball screw.
  3. My stepper motors are all: Nema23 57BYGH115-003B DUAL SHAFT 3A 425oz-in 115mm 1.8degree 2Phase
  4. All drivers are same as longs DQ542MA drivers.

If any one knows the best dip switch settings, homing and x, y, z axis calibration settings it would be of great help. I am still in need of help with this.
For all 3 axis s ... my dip switches are as follows: 1 off, 2 on, 3 off, 4 off , 5 off, 6 off, 7 on 8 on...(for 1600)

on the homing sequences popup, the home position is grayed out and the text fields are populated with numbers coming from the axis config popup window. I don,t know why I can not input from the homing sequences popup-home positions fields? my software version is: (00002131.HTG - MASSO controller software v3.29.2a. I think it is beta)
  1. Motor: distance per revolution: in mm -( I have the X and Y leads at 5mm one revolution?)
  2. Drive: pulses per revolution I know this depends upon the dip switch settings. I am not sure what is the optimum.??
    (I have tried 1600 and 800 neither is allowing me to save correctly and have the same positions in the jog window fields on the top right after re-boot.(I am saving the settings before shutdown as well as to the USB stick).it seems that I am having trouble setting home positions because I do not have access to the input fields on the home position window.)
  3. Max feed-rate: in mm: (I can t seem to find what is best) I have set to: 50mm sec
  4. Acceleration mm/sec?2: (I can t seem to find what is best) I have it set at: 100
  5. Travel min: in mm: (I have at 00mm)
  6. Travel max: in mm: (I have put x and y at 450mm to be safe?)

Please see the images attached for the specs on the motors, drivers and ball-screws?

also I have tested my limit switches and they work great. the motors are working well??

...any help would be much appreciated... from anyone.

thank you all in advanced friends.

sincerely,

George (GOK)

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Hi George, lets do this step by step and please watch this video first going through the below points

1. Make sure the controller is on millimeters as default units in general settings.
  2. please enter 5 for "Motor: Distance per revolution:"
  3. Leave the DIP switches on the drives to 1600 setting and For "Drive: Pulses per revolution:" enter 1600
  4. Max feed-rate and Acceleration, just leave these to any value that is not too fast as it will miss steps, these values will be fine tuned at a later stage once you have the rest calibrated.
  5. For Min and Max, as you said that your X axis total travel is 480, so for Min enter 0.00 and for Max travel enter 480.
  6. Do the same for Y axis and enter its total travel in max travel.
  7. For Z axis as it will home up, your min travel will be -50 (lets say your Z total travel is 50mm) and your max travel will be 0.00 because you will home up and then move downwards for cutting.

gok

GOK
after I save the numbers up and down might work.

when I save to the usb and reboot the controller give my coordinates in the jog page window as half. and then the axis jogs only to the half position

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
You cant, its just suppose to display those values, they will automatically change when you tick or untick the axis direction in the homing window, it will automatically fill the value depending on which side you home.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Quote from GOK on May 22, 2018, 6:45 am

after I save the numbers up and down might work.

when I save to the usb and reboot the controller give my coordinates in the jog page window as half. and then the axis jogs only to the half position

They are half because the machine does not know where it is after power up, press CTRL+ALT+HOME to home the machine and then they will be automatically set after completing the homing cycle.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Quote from GOK on May 22, 2018, 6:48 am

ok I am sorry

for some reason I thought I saw that you could in the video.

yes in the earlier version you could but then people were getting confused as to whats the right value and we added logic so that it automatically fills the right value for you.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Please try, I think you are very close, once you can get the machine to home then a lot of things will make sense.

gok

GOK
It seem like the machine coordinates are being saved for a little while and then lost. as well as I am saving to the usb for safety sake.

I save the configuration before shutting down. when I re-boot and home the machine the axis might travel maybe half way sometimes it only travels an inch or two. is there anyone in the Boston MA area that has a similar set up that I can pay to come over and set this for me?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Can you check your homing inputs, please check that all the homing inputs that you have assigned only show L (Low) when the homing sensors/switches are not engaged. The signal status should only show H (High) when sensors/switches are triggered.

Please check these and let us know, we can also organise a phone call or skype call to fast track the process.

gok

GOK
Hello again,

I just came back from re-trying configuring the axis's again for around 2:30 hours with little luck. I tried everything you mentioned.
It seems that all axis's work in reverse with out inverting the motor direction and or homing direction.

I had to set zero in many steps, first inverting motor direction and multiple times setting zero, jogging to negative and setting zero and so-on till I had zero correct, on all axis's. This included the z axis.

When I had things jogging in the correct direction and to and from zero nicely. I saved everything. as well as to the USB drive.

I would then jog the axis's to a quarter of the distance away fro the zero position and re-booted the machine.

Upon re-boot completion, I would home the machine.

At times the homing would home correctly. at other times the homing would home to the opposite axis extremes... i don't know why, I thought I had it set up correctly?? Who knows, I am in my late 50's. ?

Strangely when the homing went to the opposite side the X axis was supposed to in the jogging top right window would show the position at almost double the distance than it should be(instead of zero it would say the position was at -26 inches... yes I also tested it in inches as well.)

also strangely, after homing on start-up and it would reverse home position, I would home again, and the homing would jog to the opposite x,y,z coordinates and trigger the hard limits, than jog too the opposite extremes, stop and quickly jog again to reverse coordinates once more.

Most of the times I homed the axis's, the controller would pass what I had set up for as soft limits(almost an inch less on both sides for safety) and jog until it hit the hard limits and then back off until the limit switches un-toggled.

I set up the configuration over and over to no avail.

also I tried it again with the dip switches set at 800 after the 1600 setting failed a few times with the same results

I also tested the limit switches many time and I slowed down the feed rate speed alot, but with no improvement (just slower). The motor seem to be working nicely though not over heating.

and yes the homing sensors(limit switches) are set to low

Any Ideas friend? ?

I will be on line for a hour and a half if you come up with somthing.

George

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Somehow it sounds like a faulty signal going to MASSO causing the homing issues, maybe a loose sensor cable. If you are available now then we can go through this over skype.

gok

GOK
I have an idea. How about I video record what is happening in the morning and post itso you can see what I am talking about then we can go over it over the phone when you get back in to work later in the day tomorrow?

gok

GOK
Hello sir.

I was going to film what was going on with the cnc router today...(I ran out of battery) so I think it would be best to connect over whats up or Skype like you originally wanted. so I will be ready to connect when you want to tonight. ?

George

you can call me at 1-508-212-4389

I am going to leave my computer to go down to my basement to see what i can do about the problem now, so you can just feel free to contact me when you have a chance friend. :)

George

gok

GOK
you must be busy so I guess we will connect tomorrow.

I am heading off to get some sleep bro.

Have a great rest of day to you Friend. :)

George