Homing sensor questions

m1088

M1088
Hello from Nashville!

I am working on a Fyeboon rail type plasma CNC. I purchased 3 homing sensors. This is uncharted ground for me. Should the sensors be placed so that the starting point is something close to the worker and convenient? Second, can these sensors be applied with 2 sided tape or must they be drilled? Maybe I am blind, but is there a wiring diagram for the newer type sensors. Third, what are people using to trigger the sensor? Something metal and adjustable?

Thank you in advance!

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@m1088

Watch the video in the documentation, it is for the old type but the principle is the same.

At the bottom of the page is a link to the wiring of the new type sensor.

The attached photos show how I did the Z & X axis and Y axis on my demo/test rig. X & Y are set up to trigger at both ends of travel.

Regards,

Arie.

Attachments

• 20210520_100036.jpg
    20210520_100036.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210520_100054.jpg
    20210520_100054.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

m1088

M1088
Quote from M1088 on June 1, 2021, 8:12 am

I have 3 homing sensors. What should the Z axis torch height be set ? In other words, how far off metal, or should the torch home to all the way up?

Ross

Ross
m1088,

I made a video to answer some of your questions.

It might help!

Ps: I watched it, but now I'm lost!

From Ross.

stickycnc

Stickycnc
Perhaps a redirection in this post. I apologise if so.

My lathe retrofit.

Can I use one sensor per axis to do Homing as well as the Travel Limit sensing for the homing end of axis and also the Travel Limit Sensing for the other extreme of travel?

I am thinking to fix one sensor to the moving element on the axis and have a sensor trip "tab" at each end of the fixed element of machines axis, where the one sensor approach's and triggers at both ends of axes travel.

I suspect the controller requires the differentiation of two separate sensors at each end of travel?

Comment please.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@stickycnc

MASSO has only one homing/limit sensor input per axis. Sensor input is used as travel limit during operation, but when homing is selected it is used to trigger home position. To use more than one sensor/switch per axis requires wiring NO in parallel and NC in series.
With correctly set soft limits you should never need to use hard limits.

If you look at my previous post #2 you'll see two methods of achieving both ends of travel limit.
First is moving sensor fixed tabs, second is fixed sensor moving tabs.

Regards,

Arie.