Homing Single Axis

valdrin

valdrin
I have to send home only one axis just like "G28 X0", but in my case, I have to home one axis not by returning it to its origin but by hitting the homing switch and resetting its value to zero.

I've checked the Masso tutorials but I cannot find an answer.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Homing the machine and going back to the home position are two different things, you home the machine on power up so that the controller knows the reference position.

When going back to the home position using G28, you do not find the homing reference and just go back to the home location that we set when you homed the machine.

So now do you need a gcode command to move lets say only your X axis to go back to the home position?

valdrin

valdrin
Yes I need a gcode to move only one axis to its reference position, if that is possible that would be ideal in my case, but I would also be happy if I could start the homing sequence to find the reference position via gcode.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Yes you can use G28, please first see this link, it has some good explanation: https://www.cnccookbook.com/g28-g-code-cnc-return-reference-position/

You can use G91 G28 X0 to move your X axis to its home position. Now depending on your setup, maybe as per your homing location of X axis its set to 100mm when the machine is homed, now by using G91 G28 X0 command the X axis will move to X100 as set in your F1-Setup homing settings. Please also make sure to give G90 command after this.

Please note that this only works for X, Y and Z axis.

valdrin

valdrin
I misinterpreted on my earlier reply, I have to find the reference position, not to move to the reference position which was founded earlier by homing sequence when the machine started.

In my case, it's like when the machine starts and finds the reference positions by hitting the home switches, but after one job is finished, I am changing the home switch position, so I cannot rely on the old reference position, I need to find the new reference position for one of the axis by hitting the home switch again.

If that is not possible, I would like to know if I can launch the homing sequence via gcode (to simulate CTRL+ALT+HOME shortcut).

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
We are a bit confused, will you able to make a quick video about this on your machine and share it please?

valdrin

valdrin
No, it's complicated to make a video.

But is there any G or M command to start the homing sequence. To simulate CTRL+ALT+HOME shortcut via gcode.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
ok so let me try to understand your requirement, so basically you want to physically move your axis homing switch to a new position and then somehow home that axis only so that it moves till it hits the new position of the switch, is this correct?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Maybe then you should use a probing cycle G38.2

Its much easier for us to find the right solution for your requirement if we could maybe see some photos of the setup because at times there can be different ways to doing the same thing and we might have a totally different picture in mind.

valdrin

valdrin
Yes, G38.2 works fine in my case, I didn't use probing before. Thank you for your help I appreciate it very much. Best regards.