How do you remove work offsets G54 & G92

bictonmensshed

BictonMensShed
Testing touch plate gcode and setting WCS resulted in DRO not setting zero when homing machine.

In the status bar it shows Work Offset: G54 & G92 in red.

The only I can get the DRO to line up with MCS is to reboot the MASSO.

This is the gcode I'm using for the touch plate

(10)
(TOUCH ZERO CODE)

N10 G38.2 Z-45 F200
N15 G92 Z22.96
N20 G0 Z30
N25 M30

Regards,

Arie.

tayloredtech

TayloredTech
Quote from BictonMensShed on October 22, 2018, 7:13 am

Testing touch plate gcode and setting WCS resulted in DRO not setting zero when homing machine.

In the status bar it shows Work Offset: G54 & G92 in red.

The only I can get the DRO to line up with MCS is to reboot the MASSO.

This is the gcode I'm using for the touch plate

(10)
(TOUCH ZERO CODE)

N10 G38.2 Z-45 F200
N15 G92 Z22.96
N20 G0 Z30
N25 M30

Regards,

Arie.

I'm still pretty confused with the whole offsets thing but to get rid of the G54 I would home the machine, then once it has backed off, run it to its limit (past home position on all axis) then at the top where it has co-ordinates press "Zero axis" or whatever.. Just leaves you with G92. I am sure there is an easier way and I would also like to know!

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@bictonmensshed I asked about this very issue about a week ago. Apparently G54 & G92 message turns red to indicate that you have manually zero'd the DRO and entered into G92 temporary work offset. @masso-support said to use the G92.1 command to cancel the temporary G92 temporary work offset command but I have not tried it yet to see how it works. You can see our discussion in my post titled "Work offset table and DRO".

Like @tayloredtech I am also confused by the way the work offset functions in Masso. @masso-support said that they will provide a video to explain how its supposed to work but they have not done so yet since they are pushing very hard to complete the next release so I am sure they will get to it very soon. As you will see by my comments in the other post, I still think the work offset function is not working the way you would expect. Using their offsets table changed the DRO setting that I had just zero'd so I have to remember to leave my machine at the G54 origin before I adjust the table then hit zero again afterwards.

It just feels wrong so something must be wrong. Right?.

Stephen Brown

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@testyourdesign I now remember reading your post, but yesterday I was trying to get the touchpad working and G92 was causing all sorts problems, driving tool into touchpad when trying to raise tool, etc.

Anyway I have done some research and found that most comments about G92 was not to use it but to use G10 instead. So I have rewritten my little code snippet to use G10, this writes the adjusted Z into G54 , which I will test when I next visit the shed.

As my background is software & electronics, all this G code is new to me and I'm finding it hard to find a site that explains it in simple language. The worst part about all this is that I will have to teach the shed members how to use the CNC router when I have finalized the build.

Regards,

Arie.

For the Bicton Men's Shed.

tayloredtech

TayloredTech
Quote from testyourdesign on October 22, 2018, 10:41 pm

@bictonmensshed I asked about this very issue about a week ago. Apparently G54 & G92 message turns red to indicate that you have manually zero'd the DRO and entered into G92 temporary work offset. @masso-support said to use the G92.1 command to cancel the temporary G92 temporary work offset command but I have not tried it yet to see how it works. You can see our discussion in my post titled "Work offset table and DRO".

Like @tayloredtech I am also confused by the way the work offset functions in Masso. @masso-support said that they will provide a video to explain how its supposed to work but they have not done so yet since they are pushing very hard to complete the next release so I am sure they will get to it very soon. As you will see by my comments in the other post, I still think the work offset function is not working the way you would expect. Using their offsets table changed the DRO setting that I had just zero'd so I have to remember to leave my machine at the G54 origin before I adjust the table then hit zero again afterwards.

It just feels wrong so something must be wrong. Right?.

Stephen Brown

Yeah I agree, if it feels good.. do it.

Sorry to go off topic a second but how did you two change your avatar image?

Mitch

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@bictonmensshed I will have to look into your code to understand it but just so you know if you see G54 & G92 in red you can revert back to the current G54 setting in offset table using the G92.1 command. I tested it last night and it works perfectly.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from testyourdesign on October 23, 2018, 4:53 pm

@bictonmensshed I will have to look into your code to understand it but just so you know if you see G54 & G92 in red you can revert back to the current G54 setting in offset table using the G92.1 command. I tested it last night and it works perfectly.

The code is from MASSO's page on Touch Plate.

G38.2 is the probing move, G92 is compensating for the touch plate thickness then the G0 is to raise the tool from the touch plate.

This code is common on the web for probing a touch plate.

It's good to know that G92.1 cancels the G92 offset.

Regards,

Arie.

For the Bicton Men's Shed.

tayloredtech

TayloredTech
Quote from testyourdesign on October 24, 2018, 4:20 pm

Maybe we should look into gcodetutor.com to get a better foundation.

Just signed up thanks mate.

I'll hopefully actually get time to do some research today if I ever get to work.