Howdy

halfstep

Halfstep
Howdy everyone, I am new here and new to cnc. I ordered a Precision Matthews pm940 back in late October and received it last day of January. It was supposed to be here late November but got pushed back. I bought a Masso in late November thinking I would have it in time to start my conversion. So the Masso just sit there and had to wait a while. I am working on the conversion and finally fired up the Masso a couple days ago. I just about got my electronics enclosure finished. Just a few small things to finish up. It turned out pretty good. I'll post some pics in a week or so once I get it all done. I am running clearpath servos and hooked them up to the enclosure and everything seems to be good will all green lights and I can jog the servos and get movement. No blue smoke that smells like band aids. That's always a good sign. I am going to start on the ball screw mounts next and see if I can start making chips someday soon. There is a lot of research and work that goes into a cnc conversion. There isn't much info out there on the pm940 conversion like on some of the other popular milling machines. That makes it more difficult and time consuming especially since this is my first conversion.

I like the Masso since it is a stand alone controller. I didn't want to tie up a computer. The Masso seems to do most of everything needed. Once they get the backlash compensation back up and running, it will be even better. I've been reading the posts on this forum for the last six months and learned a lot. This forum is a great resource and Masso seems dedicated to helping their customers. I've got a lot to learn but I'll get there, someday.

machinedude

machinedude
decent work space on that model. should be big enough to get into all sorts projects. only down side is the R8 spindle taper. the best you can do with that taper would be a power drawbar and the Tormach TTS tooling system. But regardless still a nice size machine to start with. Welcome to the community.

halfstep

Halfstep
Thanks, it is a large mill with a lot of travel. I already have some tts tooling and plan on making a power drawbar some day in the near future. I have to build the ball screw mounts next so I'll see how the goes first. lol