Laser control?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
looked at the link and it should be straightforward to connect the laster to the spindle output signals.

If the laser can take PWM signals to control power then MASSO has PWM outputs that can be controlled from gcode.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
(@angelars) If you get the laser going please share how you achieve it, because it is something that I want to setup on the shed's Heavy Mill sometime in the future.

Regards,

Arie.

For the Bicton Men's Shed.

angelars

AngelArs
Quote from MASSO - Support on October 20, 2018, 4:21 am

If the laser can take PWM signals to control power then MASSO has PWM outputs that can be controlled from gcode.

This is great news!

I have also learned that this particular laser system also works well with the Gecko G540. (https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=2501)

I also read on their site that it does work with the X-Carve X-Controller (https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=4432) which also uses spindle PWM, so this laser system looks very promising.

angelars

AngelArs
Quote from Breezy on October 20, 2018, 5:07 am

(@angelars) If you get the laser going please share how you achieve it, because it is something that I want to setup on the shed's Heavy Mill sometime in the future.

Will do Breezy, I have been in close contact with the companies owner and he has already helped me with many tech issues.

Now that I know that the MASSO has PWM outputs that can be controlled from gcode, and that this laser system also works well with the Gecko G540 (which I'm also using) I have decided to not only take the plunge, but to buy their biggest system (https://jtechphotonics.com/?product=7w-laser-and-5amp-safety-compliant-driver-kit). It is an amazing 7 watts and I am already preparing the area where my CNC will be used for laser usage. This will most likely be my Christmas gift to myself for this year. I am very excited to be adding this laser system to the Masso. I will be updating this thread as I travel on this learning journey. When it's up and running I'll post a step-by-step "adding a laser to the Masso" manual here for anyone else who has a Masso and wants to add a laser system. My goal is to have everything fully functional and up and running by the end of the year.

angelars

AngelArs
@masso-support does this look correct for the PWM outputs that you mentioned above?

Attachments

• Laser-Hookup.png
    Laser-Hookup.png
    127 KB · Views: 30

deanr181

DeanR181

Regards,

Arie.

For the Bicton Men's Shed.

Hi Arie, did you ever get a laser working with Masso?

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Dean,

That project was put on hold awaiting AngelArs response.

And now on indefinite hold!! Will get to it one day.

Regards,

Arie.

angelars

AngelArs
Quote from DeanR181 on March 28, 2020, 4:04 pm

(@angelars) If you get the laser going please share how you achieve it

I am still working on this and it (hopefully) should be completed sometime this summer. It all depends on how things pan out with this COVID-19 pandemic. I am looking forward to completing it and doing the write-up.

deanr181

DeanR181
Hi Arie and AngelArs ,

I spent all weekend (in lock down) setting up and playing around with the laser and PP for it and i am happy to say that i got it working perfectly.

I have never written or modified a PP before so just studied a few examples and worked it out.

The only thing i cannot work out, or even think it is possible with Masso, it greyscale / photo engraving.

This doesn't bother me as i am only interested in cutting at the moment.

The example in the attached photo shows how fine detail i managed to do on the first attempt. Very pleased with this.

I did use Air Assist but the air was not as close as i would like it so will design and 3D print a nozzle today and see if it makes any improvement.

Regards

Dean

Attachments

• DSCF9284.JPG
    DSCF9284.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 24

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
great work @deanr181 and thanks for sharing.

what kind of laser you have and are you controlling the laser strength from gcode using the MASSO PWM output?

deanr181

DeanR181
Hi,

I have an Endurance 10W + laser.

The Laser Strength is the part i am not able to work out. I am using M62P7 and M63P7 just to turn the laser on and off with the TTL wires from the laser.

It is just running full power while cutting.

I would like to work out how to control the laser power through Masso (and Vectric Aspire), but i cant work it out at the moment.

Endurance Laser supplier doesn't know as they don't use Masso.

I tried to adjust the laser strength using the "S" command but all this did was to turn the laser on and off but it still ran at constant full power.

I guess this is something i need to investigate to work out, if it is possible at all with Masso.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Dean

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Hi Dean,

I'm happy to help out with the post processor and see if we can come up with something that will work with Masso speed control and PWM for the laser. I don't know if it will work but we can try.

I also have a laser I built years ago that used to connect to my router but since upgrading to a spindle I can no longer attach it to my machine. It will need to sit down and think about how best to set it up.

Do you have any photo's of your Machine / laser setup?

Cheers Peter

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Dean,
The Laser Strength is the part i am not able to work out. I am using M62P7 and M63P7 just to turn the laser on and off with the TTL wires from the laser.

I tried to adjust the laser strength using the "S" command but all this did was to turn the laser on and off but it still ran at constant full power.

M62/63 is only ON/OFF therefore the laser will run full power.

S will control the laser power but you have to set MASSO to operate in PWM mode in the spindle setup and connect to Pin1 of the spindle connector.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arie.

deanr181

DeanR181
Hi Arie,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i did connect to the Spindle output for PWM but as it did not work (or it was just me that couldn't get it to work) i changed to the M62/63 On / Off just for cutting.

Regards

Dean

deanr181

DeanR181
Quote from CNCnutz on March 30, 2020, 12:50 pm

Hi Dean,

I'm happy to help out with the post processor and see if we can come up with something that will work with Masso speed control and PWM for the laser. I don't know if it will work but we can try.

I also have a laser I built years ago that used to connect to my router but since upgrading to a spindle I can no longer attach it to my machine. It will need to sit down and think about how best to set it up.

Do you have any photo's of your Machine / laser setup?

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message and offer.

It's actually all your fault I got into lasers :) . I followed you on your Laser build and I caught the laser bug.

I was using Mach3 and a 3.5W laser before but didn't spend too much time on it, but now I have the 10W Laser and Masso, I'm getting right into it.

Already got the ATC up and running which is working good.

I have included some photos of my machine and also the laser and mount etc. The laser mount and control boxes for the laser attach to the spindle head with magnets.

It would be great if there is a way to get the Greyscale / photo working.

Regards

Dean

Attachments

• Laser-CNC.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 33

deanr181

DeanR181
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message and offer.

It's actually all your fault I got into lasers ? . I followed you on your Laser build and I caught the laser bug.

I was using Mach3 and a 3.5W laser before but didn't spend too much time on it, but now I have the 10W Laser and Masso, I'm getting right into it.

Already got the ATC up and running which is working good.

I have included some photos of my machine and also the laser and mount etc. The laser mount and control boxes for the laser attach to the spindle head with magnets.

It would be great if there is a way to get the Greyscale / photo working.

Regards

Dean

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Dean,

I googled Endurance Laser to try and find a user manual online, lots pretty pictures and videos but no clear instructions on how to connect or what the PWM limits were.

But from what I found you connect a PWM signal to one wire and the other to ground/-ve, but they didn't say which one to where.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards,

Arie.

PS. You posted photos after I started googling, great setup you have there.

angelars

AngelArs
Hey guys, is this what you re looking for?

Attachments

• 8A70354B-9B52-42DD-AD1D-B0A519B32F44.jpeg
    8A70354B-9B52-42DD-AD1D-B0A519B32F44.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 34