Light Machines proLIGHT 3000 Turning Center conversion

brent

Brent
Thought I'd share what I found through my machine conversion. Started with the previous posts from @agoodevans

(https://www.masso.com.au/forums/topic/prolight-m1000-mill-and-turning-center-retrofit/) and while his efforts helped to sort out most of my issues, I worked through a few more that might be helpful to someone else.

I maintained all of the default configuration and wiring of both the turning center and the default controller box (as detailed in the attached proLIGHT_3000_WIN_Manual.pdf) and was able to swap out the computer for the Masso G3 Touch directly. The original computer had a 16-bit ISA card that had a DB-25 and DB-9 connector that went to the lathe controller box. I used DB-25 and DB-9 breakout boards (from Amazon) to avoid having to cut into cables and trace wires individually, which proved to be very convenient (See IMG_1708.JPG). I've also attached the correct manual for the spindle motor driver that I have (Minarik PCM21000A) and the encoder that is on this machine (HEDS-9100), which I found to be helpful.

Here are the connections that I've made:

DB-25

Description

Masso G3

Note

Tool Turret Direction (Y-Axis)

Y-Axis D-

Using D- to inverse motor direction from Wabeco Tool Turret configuration

X-Axis Direction

X-Axis D+

Ground

GND

Door Sensors

Input 3 (configured for Door)

Inverse input on Masso

X & Z Hard Limits (-X and -Z direction)

Using soft limits off of home positions, so this is not connected

Micro-Stepping (Enable High, Disable Low)

GND

Haven't been able to get micro stepping (half stepping) to work correctly, with full steps it's still 4000 steps per inch, which seems fine (.00025" per step)

Z-Axis Direction

Z-Axis D+

Tool Turret Step (Y-Axis)

Y-Axis S+

200 steps per full stepper rotation, 30:1 gearing for the tool turret, 8 tool locations (evenly spaced) on the turret; so 6000 steps for a full rotation of the turret, and 750 steps per tool)

Z-Axis Step

Z-Axis S+

200 steps per full stepper rotation, 2:1 belt and pulleys between stepper and ball screw, 10 turns per inch for the ball screw; so 400 steps per rotation of ball screw and .100" travel

X-Axis Step

X-Axis S+

200 steps per full stepper rotation, 2:1 belt and pulleys between stepper and ball screw, 10 turns per inch for the ball screw; so 400 steps per rotation of ball screw and .100" travel

Spindle Enable / Disable

ES (TTL outputs)

Not using a relay here as it goes to an enable / disable logic function in controller and showed very low current draw when testing with the multimeter)

E-Stop

E-Stop 2

Lathe controller provides +5v signal that is looped through the E-stop on the machine and then through the e-stop on the Masso Touch assembly before connecting to E-Stop 2 (Lathe controller provided +5v ---> Lathe E-Stop ---> DB-25 Pin 23 ---> Touch E-Stop button ---> Masso E-Stop 2)

Home - X, Z, & Tool Turret (Y-Axis)

Inputs 4, 5, & 6 (configured as X - Home Sensor Input, Z - Home Sensor Input, & Tool Changer - Input 1)

All homes are on a single loop, which works as long as X and Z home separately (and the tool turret home is just past the tool 1 position, so that home is not signaled once tool 1 is locked) and all inputs inverted on the Masso

DB-9

Description

Masso G3

Note

Spindle Speed (0-10v)

Spindle Control 1

Spindle is single direction only, so only connecting Spindle Control 1 (Driver for the spindle is a Minarik PCM21000A)

Spindle Speed Ground

GND

Spindle Index

Encoder Z

sensor on spindle output, once single per rotation

Spindle Encoder A

Encoder A

Encoder (HEDS-9100) has a disk that has 512 signals per rotation (HEDS-5120-i), and the encoder is one belt / pulley set removed from the spindle with a 2:1 ratio, so 1024 encoder ticks per spindle rotation (true when in the 1200 RPM belt configuration, RPM LCD indicator does not report correctly when in the 3600 RPM belt configuration)

Encoder / Display Ground

GND

Ground is for the +5V side, but all grounds are common

Spindle Encoder B

Encoder B

Encoder / Display Power (Needs +5V)

+5V

Added a buck voltage regulator that provides +5V off of the +24V power supply that is connected to the Masso, this makes the LCD RPM display work, but also powers the encoder and index sensors, so is required

I haven't been able to turn anything yet, as I'm still working on getting my tool turret dialed in (I'm not sure how it ever worked, as it is .115" too tall to be able to have any tool hit the center of the work, and will need to be machined down to mount lower; it's possible that someone before me Frankensteined this machine together from a couple of different versions of the same make, as everything matches the manual diagrams). However, I have been able to run test gcode jobs and verify movement accuracy with calipers and gauges, so I'm getting really close to being done with the modifications and ready to start making parts!

Hope this helps someone save a bunch of time! (or if you see something that I could improve, let me know!)

-Brent

Attachments

• proLIGHT_3000_WIN_Manual.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 54
  • pcm21000A-Manual.pdf
    263 KB · Views: 53
  • av02-1867en_ds_heds-9x00_2016-08-01.pdf
    343 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43