masso and a relay to fire my plasma

ironman

ironman
hello all and thanks for all your help . Im new to the cnc world but i am building a cnc plasma table 4 x 5 ft so right now im building my box for my re-movable controller as my shop is in my garage and i dont heat it when not in use so from my past as i did start with the pc running my machine and it only lasted 2 months yes two months and the new pc was dead from hot cold damp dusty dirty place i call my hobby shop . so this is how i came to masso as we all no does not require a pc. my build is in a metal suit case i turned into my carry in the shop when i need it and in the house when not in use . picture's of the control box is with the cheap china controller i sent back to china as it could not slave the x axis as i have two steppers on that axis . but here is my problem im having in my control box is do i need a relay to fire my plasma or am i just using the relay on the masso , but im thinking i need a relay as the masso is not big enough to do that. so if im right what im thinking is what kind of relay am i going to need and if you or someone you no could lead me in a direction of fixing this problem. right now im going to try and get away with not using a thc as i just paid for the masso and received it in the mail . its a killer controller is all i can say :) fingers crossed lol

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

eti

eti
you need external to masso THC

look in this forum there are other post in re to THC and wiring to masso

tcfengineering

tcfengineering
Hello, hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I also need help with the relay firing the plasma. I have bought this relay on the recommendation of someone on this forum :

I have it now, and I am ready to wire it up, but I am not too bright with electrical stuff and I dont know what to connect where. I have 14 pins coming off the relay numbered 1-14. Does anyone have any ideas which pins I need to connect to what. I have the DIN mount base for it with numbered screw terminals, so I imagine it will be easy enough once I know what I am doing !

Thanks for any help

Ross

Ross
This is how I wired mine.

(Make sure you check with Masso first to know if it is correct just to be on the safe side)

Plus a document from Hypertherm

From Ross.

Attachments

• CNC-Plasma-Shielding.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Wire-THC.jpg
    Wire-THC.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 16

tcfengineering

tcfengineering
Hello, thanks for the reply. I am pretty OK with how it should work, but I am confused with the relay I have here. It has so many screw terminals and the diagram doesnt make any sense to me. Does anyone know which terminal does what ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_1945520701.jpg
    IMG_20190203_1945520701.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

tcfengineering

tcfengineering
This is a better picture of the pins. Is the feed from the power supply going into 13/14 ?

Attachments

• general-purpose-relay-wiring-diagram-pinay-nnc-clion-hh54p-380v-my4-best.jpg
    general-purpose-relay-wiring-diagram-pinay-nnc-clion-hh54p-380v-my4-best.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11

clover

clover
@ross
This is how I wired mine.

Ross I suspect you have a mistake on your wiring drawing above. The violet wire from the Relay Module input to the Masso should not go to one of the 32 Masso Inputs but to a Masso Relay or a TTL output.

Cheers, Patrick

jolbas

Jolbas
Quote from tcfengineering on February 3, 2019, 7:35 pm

This is a better picture of the pins. Is the feed from the power supply going into 13/14 ?

14 to relay power supply (+) may be same as Masso. If not, (-) on both suppliers must be connected

13 to one of masso relay outputs (-)

5 and 9 is normally open (NO) and should be connected to two trigger contacts on plasma.

(Edit: Correction of connection to relay outputs)

jolbas

Jolbas
The diagram on the relay shows the relays state when not activated. When in this state current can flow from 9 to 1, 10 to 2, 11 to 3 and from 12 to 4.

It is activated by apply 12V over 13 and 14. When activated the current instead flows from 9 to 5, 10 to 6 ...

clover

clover
@tcfengineering

I hope the drawing below helps, let's know if you need further help.

If the voltage of the relay is the same as that going to supply your Masso use the wiring shown.

If however the voltage of the relay is different than that supplying your Masso you will need to use the alternate supply shown - but do not connect the red wire between Pin 14 and the Masso power supply. The Relay's voltage should be written on the relay coil.

Sorry about the image of the Plasma Box being flipped.

Attachments

• Relay_1.jpg
    Relay_1.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 16

tcfengineering

tcfengineering
Thanks Jolbas. Now it makes more sense. So if I understand it right, then I should have

13 to Masso PSU ground
14 to Masso Relay output
9 and 10 to +/- on PSU
5 and 6 to +/- on plasma trigger contacts
Nothing on 1 and 2 ?

I have a seperate PSU for the plasma trigger circuit, I take it this will be OK and not intefere with the Masso PSU. I appreciate this question may seem quite basic, but I want to make sure it is right before frying anything.

Thanks for your help

tcfengineering

tcfengineering
Sorry Clover, didnt see this whilst posting the last reply. Looks like it is simpler to use the Masso PSU like in your main diagram. I was worried about inteference hence the idea of seperate PSUs but think I will keep it simple. Thanks

clover

clover
@tcfengineering
Looks like it is simpler to use the Masso PSU like in your main diagram. I was worried about inteference hence the idea of seperate PSUs but think I will keep it simple.

Definitely use the Masso supply if the relay is of the same voltage. Interference shouldn't be a problem here but you will need to be careful with interference coming from your Plasma's high voltage/current wiring. There are plenty of threads on this forum that attests to this! Good luck, Cheers, Patrick