Masso and Thermal Dynamics Plasma/Proma THC wiring for relay torch firing

richyss1000

richyss1000
Hi all....I am just trying to find someone that has successfully wired up a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 20 (A60) Plasma with Proma THC with Masso. I have my machine converted to Masso and have wired it up with a relay through the thermal dynamics arc voltage card for the mechanized torch. I have the machine running correctly in every aspect other then getting the plasma to fire in any way, I lost hope on getting it running properly last year and just trying to see if anyone out there has this combination and can give me the details of how they have a plasma running in this format. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Richard

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
So as per the plasma document if you short pin 3 and 4 then doesn't that start the plasms arc?

Attachments

• Thermal-Dynamics-MASSO-1.png
    Thermal-Dynamics-MASSO-1.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 17

richyss1000

richyss1000
Ok it's been a while to get back about this, my apologies. I am still having trouble with the firing of torch but I have checked the relay and it does fire the torch when I short 3 and 4 pin which I'm hoping that is good start. I am starting to think that I have not set up the z axis properly for inputs of torch touch. Due to giving a M03 command I get a alarm saying no Ark ok signal ? I have had a good look through the paperwork and hoping someone could give me a dot form of how to check all my configurations to make sure when I load a file the Z axis is configured properly to go down touch the material and then start the torch. Any help to rectify my issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Richy

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
with a multimeter please check if you are getting an arc ok signal from PROMA when the torch is switched on.

richyss1000

richyss1000
Hi all,

I am still having problems with THC for the Proma with no signal and no Z axis movemnt in test mode. I have re-wired the position of the where the Proma has been mounted it out of the cabinet to try and take away any possibility of getting noise from drivers even tho having shielded wiring already. I suppose I am wanting to test the signal coming from thermal dynamics interface and would like someone to tell me what kind of signal I should be getting coming out of the plasma to the proma with torch on and then what I should be getting to the Masso for up,down,ark and divided arc signal when moving around the table. Finding this imformation from anyone seems to be mission impossible. I have the plasma turning on and off and cutting exactly how I want it now with the Masso and very be happy with how its all working now but just need to sort out THC to ensure decent quality of cutting. If anyone could share this imformation it would be appreciated so I can test to see where my fault is, maybe its something as simple as the settings within the proma or masso settings. Thanks Richy

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
with a multimeter please check if you are getting an arc ok signal from PROMA when the torch is switched on.

richyss1000

richyss1000
Hi masso support,

I have just been out and checked a few combinations of the proma readings in the below format of 12V DC with a multimeter.

Machine sitting at idle with all power on including masso.

UP -0.10 volts

ARC -0.14 volts

Down 0.00 volts

COM 0.00 volts

power in + - 12.46 volts

Divided Volts +0.25 -0.25 Volts

Machine torch on with M03 command

UP 0.48 volts

ARC 0.85 volts

Down 0.85 volts

COM 0.00 volts

power in + - 12.46 volts

Divided Volts +030 -1.68 Volts

Machine running a file with THC turned off on Masso

UP 1.80 volts

ARC 1.80 volts

Down 1.80 volts

COM 0.00 volts

power in + - 12.46 volts

Divided Volts +1.20 -1.20Volts

I have checked all the settings on the proma to ensure they are at the factory settings and all seems to be correct, I did run the Proma in test mode and got no movement of Z axis and no difference in voltage readings and have tested the distance of moving the z axis up and down while torch was on to see if I could get an indication but still nothing, I disconnected Mechanized torch and connected manual torch and moved it up and down with torch on and still no indication. Hopefully someone can give me some other troubleshooting ideas or voltage readings that I should be getting out of the Proma THC. Thanks Richard

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
I think there is some confusion with the PROMA wiring, why is COM 0.0?

Can you please make a quick wiring diagram of the PROMA setup.

richyss1000

richyss1000
Hi....I have wired the com port directly the negative terminal of the 12 volt power supply as when following masso wiring as per attachment it says to short circuit it through the - supply of masso. As per instructions from Proma it's says to connect com port direct to negative and not short circuit it as per attachment also from Proma ?

Attachments

• 15444004214558343316592933799924.jpg
    15444004214558343316592933799924.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 22

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Have you wired the resistors because you should get voltage between COM and UP/DOWN/ARC

Are the PROMA and MASSO running of the same power supply?

richyss1000

richyss1000
Hi, yes but different ports from 12 volt power supply...Now I don't know about resistors as they are not supplied with Proma and doesn't say that on your diagram...I did notice on another forum someone had maybe resistors wired on them ports...my knowledge is minimal in this department and will post the picture I saw from the forum and you could probably confirm this for me please...Thanks Richard

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Basically when the plasma if OFF you should get some voltage between COM and UP.

Are the PROMA and MASSO running of the same power supply?

richyss1000

richyss1000
Yes Proma and masso is running off the same 12 volt power supply

Attachments

• 15444020224597776955084403430863.jpg
    15444020224597776955084403430863.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

richyss1000

richyss1000
Ok...I have just seen what I have to do...you do say to put the 5.6 k ohm resistors in there as per your diagram...I will wire it up and see what comes from it...Sorry to waste your time again..Thanks Richard