Masso G3 Hookup

x-cnc

X - CNC
Will the new Masso G3 be a direct hookup from a second gen installation, or will there be different wiring involved?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
the connector layout is very much the same with only a few minor differences. We have color-coded the connectors and have also provided ground and power connectors so that sensors and other equipment can be wired easily without external power rails.

westyone

Westyone
Well.. so much for the G2 I bought less than a month ago that still won't cut a thread.

I guess "Feature Requests" for the G2 and other pending resolutions like "Backlash" comp are pushed aside in lieu of customer buying a whole new box for $1000.

Guinea pigs again?

Not impressed

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
the new platfrom runs the exact same software version and we will be supporting all old and new units with software updates. All software improvements will be pushed on all controllers models, the new controllers do not mean that we will not be supporting the older units.

evermech

evermech
Good to know @masso-support that everything will be supported moving forward ??

How do I get on the list for a G3 controller when released? Do I just buy 1 now and wait for it?

Guy

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
yes, you just buy the units online through our store and we will add that to the orders list and provide updates when shipped.

The physical dimensions are exactly the same.

Would like to clear some doubts and humble request that just because we have released a new version, we don't want people to think that we won't support the older versions. Please note that all the changes such as color-coded connectors, 4 USB ports, power terminals and other things came from user feedback, we are just trying to make the units better. As per our commitment, we will be doing software updates for both models together and adding features. We are doing one software release v3.42 today with Probing and new backlash comp logic, this code was not able to fit in the controller memory earlier but we re-wrote a lot of logic to make room so that we can add as many features as we can but there are always limitations with every product and over time things do reach their limit.

Releasing the G3 series of controllers was a huge task for us also but we are trying to add both hardware and software features to make things better with time, your feedback and ideas are what makes MASSO different and this is how we would like to keep it for all our designs.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
here are some main points:
  1. Color-coded connectors so that its easy to install connectors in the right position.
  2. Power and ground are now available so that low power sensors/switches and drives can be wired easily without requiring external power rails.
  3. Output ports now have more protection again damage if wired incorrectly.
  4. All 5 axis have differential signal outputs whereas on G2 model only X, Y and Z had differential signals.
  5. Expansion connector that can be directly connected to future MASSO stepper drives.
  6. Support for 100 tools.
  7. Faster processor but the pulse rate and all features will have the same speed as the G2 series.
  8. More internal memory.
  9. 4 USB ports so that you can connect a keyboard, mouse, pen drive and touch screen directly without requiring an external USB hub.
  10. WiFi hardware and software is now included on all units.

changes and things that have been removed:
  1. 24 Inputs + 3 encoder inputs.
  2. 18 outputs + 1 E-Stop signal output. All outputs are now TTL outputs with more protection against wrong wiring.
  3. 2 Analog inputs.
  4. Removed PlaySation controller, RS485 & serial connectors.

x-cnc

X - CNC
Really glad that you guys added more memory. Infact all of the upgrades made were needed, and this is the natural progression for such a device. Masso has done a great job on the G3 from what I've seen so far. I will be buying the new G3 soon.

One question that I have, when I sell my G2 what do I have to do so that the new owner can get updates for it via e-mail?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
thanks @x-cnc and you can simply email to support the controller serial number with the new email ID and we will update our system. Please note that the email must be sent from the current registered email ID of that serial number.