Masso Optical encoder

westyone

Westyone
Hello - I have installed the MASSO optical spindle sensor on my lathe. Now I must come and beg for the setup details as it isn't working for threading (why?).

The "Documentation" page on this device is incomplete as there is no info on what setting to use (PPR, High/Low on setup screen.....)

That may not even be the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4346.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 13

westyone

Westyone
Hi @ecs - There are 10 black and 10 white for 20 total on the outside ring. This decal was printed from the MASSO disk decal wizard on this web site.

Thanks for the reply!

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
count the number of black boxes and that's your PPR.

Another way of testing is to mark your spindle and goto F1 screen, next turn the spindle one full turn and you will see the pulses in encoder inputs, if the PPR settings are correct then the counter should go all the way to your PPR value and then reset back on one full turn.

westyone

Westyone
Thanks Gents - I printed the image on a self adhesive CD label and stuck it onto an .125" thick aluminum disk.

I have made an attempt at threading but it wasn't good. More testing now.

Cheers

ecs

ECS
@westyone - Great thanks for that. I'm going to try redo my disk. I 3D printed a wheel which clamped on but gluing the paper to the disk didn't go as well as i thought it would.

Let me know how you go with your threading. I've been trying and i haven't have any success. Check your pitch! Would like to know if yours it out also.

Thanks,
Josh

ecs

ECS
Quote from Westyone on August 23, 2019, 12:46 am

Thanks Gents - I printed the image on a self adhesive CD label and stuck it onto an .125" thick aluminum disk.

I have made an attempt at threading but it wasn't good. More testing now.

Cheers

@westyone - how did your threading go?

westyone

Westyone

mattdom142

mattdom142
Hi all,

I have also set up my Masso encoder and I am not getting any RPM feed back. (machine is not displaying RPM when running)

The wires are connected correctly and the signals are being seen by the controller. I confirmed by viewing the signals on the F1 screen.

I set up the Spindle settings completely and as far as I know correctly.

What am I missing?

mattdom142

mattdom142
@ecs, Sure can. No I do not see any counting taking place. Where would I see this? Pictures are below.

Attachments

• encoder-wheel.jpg
    encoder-wheel.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 14
  • settings-encoder.jpeg
    settings-encoder.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

mattdom142

mattdom142
I just got done talking with support. They said the RPM read out is not ready. That will be in a latter software release.

But I am still not sure the encoder is working. I am not seen any thing count up and when I use constant SFM programming to control the RPM dynamically it dose not work the machine just sits there.

Anyone have luck with that type of programming and masso's encoder?

westyone

Westyone
RPM read out not ready? Must be a G3 problem, works good on G2.

On the F1 screen at the top there are 3 spindle encoder values. As the spindle turns you should see the "High/Low" signals changing and the system counting the pulses on the same line.

Cheers