Mill build

grg_p

grg_p
I m starting MD001 mill conversion. I will be using 5hp servo for spindle also have DMM servo s rotary 4th axis and ATC plus X, Y, Z. So my question is can you do a six axis with your controller. Thanks Greg

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
So you mean 5 axis + another one for tool changer = 6 axis?

Can you provide some details of your tool changer, the motor types, inputs and outputs required.

grg_p

grg_p
I have 4 DMM servo's and amplifiers X,Y,Z, rotary, 1 Kollmorgon servo DBL5N01050-BR2-000-540 and servo star amplifier for spindle, and parker servo for tool changer.

Thanks Greg

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
sorry my question was that your machine needs 5 axis and a 6th (motor) to control the tool changer?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
In that case yes you can control the 5 axis from MASSO axis outputs. For the tool changer in most cases the motor is a simple AC or DC motor and it can be controlled by MASSO outputs, you just need to make a diagram on the inputs and outputs required for controlling the tool changer.

grg_p

grg_p
I m sorry the tool changer will have to be stepper or servo to index the tool so it would have to be six axis. I know that your controller is only 5 axis. Could you use 2 controllers? Thanks

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
We had thought about a stepper motor on rotating tools but it really does not help as if the tools dont rotate or jam then things can go wrong, the stepper will think that the tool is in position. Having a DC/AC motor means that MASSO is waiting for the tool to come to position and get feedback from a sensor, with this if the tool does not come into position within a given time then the machine is stopped and MASSO gives an alarm on the screen.

grg_p

grg_p
Getting A/C or D/C motor to stop in exact spot would be difficult. I m using servo with encoder for position ATC. So this can t be done? Thanks

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
The motors will never be connected directly, they will have reduction and with that you can get good positing from sensor feedback. For stepper motor you can use some sort of circuitry that takes two inputs, first will turn the motor CW and then second CCW, then this setup can work with MASSO.