Mill Table movements jagged instead of smooth (possibly skipping gcode lines again?)

steelcogs

steelcogs
I'm trying to run a simple program to bore out an existing hole in a pulley, and my mill table should have smooth movements as it expands the hole outward, but it starts to stutter and in short, just doesn't work. I don't know if it causes the machine to lose position or not since it's just one hole. Only way I'd be able to tell is the chamfer at the end of the program, but I can't make it that far.

It works better if I use a slower feedrate (20 IPM) but I can still see it happening. I'm sure it stops at an even slower feedrate. I had either this problem or a very similar problem in the past, and a prerelease update fixed it. I also updated to a newer prerelease that fixed my drills slamming into parts, but to my knowledge this wasn't a present issue in that update. I ran a very similar program to this a couple weeks ago without any noticeable issues, but I was also running at slower speed(20IPM) because I was fixed to the slower speeds.

I have no clue what could have changed in that time period that would affect it to where it goes from working to not working. The only hardware changes I made weren't directly to the Masso, and shouldn't have hurt anything. I reset the gibs on my mill, (which should give LESS stress on the Clearpath servos), and changed my spindle setup around for more RPM, but the Masso doesn't currently control that.

Running v3.37.12pre

Gcode posted below

Attachments

• interpolation.nc
    131.8 KB · Views: 19

peter35

Peter35
Steelcogs, Ran your gcode through G Wizard editor and all looks good.

Tool 1/4"

S5000

F24ipm

Is this a machining centre or a knee mill you have converted?

I have a king Rich mill with nema 34 1600 motors, this would playup at higher speeds. Was using mach 3 before changing over to masso.

Best speed l found for this was up to 12ipm. Is painful. with either mach 3 or masso, problem was steppers where losing steps at higher speed.

My main machine l use now is a vertical machining centre, it is using servo motors and is a lot more rigid. have not gone much past 24ipm. but that is more me than the machine, need more practice.

Looking at the gcode, this is a very big file, l wonder if this may be the problem. What program are you using for your cam?

carl

Carl
There are 5000 lines of code in that file with not a single arc/Circle code. Your code resembles an Icosagon (20 sided shape) And I did have to google it.

You may need to enable the G02 commands in your CAM program.

steelcogs

steelcogs
@peter35 it's a benchtop (basically Grizzly G0704) mill, so neither really. I'm using clearpath servos which are supposed to be REALLY good, and usually considered overkill for a machine my size. I'm using Fusion 360, adaptive files have typically been largish file sizes depending on what all I'm doing with them.

@carl I'm using Fusion 360, how do I check whether or not G02 is being used? I would imagine that's a part of the post processor, which is the official Masso post processor itself, so I'm not sure why that would be disabled.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
@steelcogs we will run your file today on our machine and get back to you, please note that we are very busy with the new release and it might take a few days.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
another thought, if you want we can email the pre-release version as I know there has been some new logic added to the lookahead part.

steelcogs

steelcogs
@testyourdesign didn't know there was a new post processor, I'll update that and try again! Any significant changes that are noted somewhere?

@masso-support I wouldn't mind being emailed the pre-release, I'll try the updated post processor first and if that works I'll just wait until full release to install. Thanks for taking a look at my gcode file.

Edit: Tried the newest post processor and that didn't change anything. Although I will note, shouldn't a 2D adaptive interpolation use G02? That would make the file considerably smaller/shorter but I also don't have experience with using Gcode like that so I don't know if it would even work. So for now though I'll try the newest pre release as soon as you guys get it out to me.

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@steelcogs the new post processor was provided by AutoDesk. Its was written specifically for AutoDesk HSM and Fusion 360 to work with your Masso. They describe it as a generic milling post so it should be well suited for your application. Hope it helps resolve some of your issues.

steelcogs

steelcogs
Yeah unfortunately no luck with just the post processor itself, but it is exciting having an official AD supported post processor!

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
@steelcogs checked your file and its due to all the small lines in the gcode, can you please try exporting the same gcode using arcs (G2 and G3) from fusion?