NEW ERRATIC BEHAVIOR ON SMALL CIRCLES

johnharvey

johnharvey
Ok, guys, this one baffles me. Previously I discovered my MASSO G3 did not like to read / interpret helix moves without crashing/freezing, so I eliminated those from my tool chest. but now more random problems are creeping in.
  1. Any arc below say 2 inches of 180 degrees, and the MASSO backplot screen does not show it. Nor will it machine it. Such as a simple link of 12" long 3" wide with 1.5" radius's on the ends. The only way I could get MASSO to machine it was to shave off the ends leaving a tiny flat to interrupt the 180 radius.

but it gets more bizarre

2. Had a series of holes, some .312" diameter, some 1" diameter. Cutting with a .25" bit, simple enough using a profiling path. Well, it would only machine some of them. Others it only did the plunge portion of the path but no circles cut????? WT_!

Tried so many work arounds. Finally got the 1" ones to work by using a sketch split in half, then programing only one arc per hole then coming back and doing the other, even this would not work if both holes were in the same program, had to write two different programs for each arc!! WT_!

This seems similar to the helix problem that I haven't had any feedback on yet?

Is my MASSO a little brain dead? Why it would randomly complete some profile paths of the same diameter and depth but not others is beyond my figuring out. On the same job there were larger complete circles 20" diameter using the same profile tool with no problem?

and its not missing steps and everything seems mechanically and electronically sound, its just not processing some circles and not others????????????????? It's so bad I gave up and I'm going to finish one hole on the manual mill!!!

Any ideas MASSO support? This is really putting a kink in the productivity.

simple right?

(DUST 1)
(T3 D=0.25 CR=0. - ZMIN=0.01 - FLAT END MILL)
N10 G90 G54 G64 G50 G17 G40 G80 G94 G49
N20 G20
N30 G28 G91 Z0.
N40 G90

(2D CONTOUR3)
N50 M9 M5
N60 T3 M6
(14 DOWN CUT)
N70 S24000 M3 M8
N80 G54
N90 G0 X101.973 Y41.4689
N100 G0 Z1.4
N110 G0 Z0.83
N120 G1 Z0.39 F40.
N130 G3 X101.3128 R0.3301 F11.
N140 G3 X101.973 R0.3301
N150 G1 Z0.01 F40.
N160 G3 X101.3128 R0.3301 F11.
N170 G3 X101.973 R0.3301
N180 G0 Z1.4

N200 M9
N210 M5
N220 G28 G91 Z0.
G90
G28 G91 X0. Y0.
G90
N230 M30

Attachments

• circle.PNG
    circle.PNG
    44.1 KB · Views: 16

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
we have already logged a bug for this issue and it's a strange bug only happening in the G3 units but working fine in G2. We are working to resolve the issue but due to Chrismas holidays and staff being on holidays this is taking some time.

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@johnharvey

On program line N10 you have G64, G50, G40, and G49 commands which are unsupported code. Have you tried using I and J option for programming G2 and G3? Was this code generated using a CAM program?

Cheers, Stephen Brown

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Hi John,

Is there any way you can set your CAM software to use I,J,K or is there a setting to limit arcs specified using the radius command to 90 degrees or less.

What CAM software do you use? (I think you mentioned it somewhere before but i can't find it.)

I've been reading up about R and I,J,K arcs tonight.

https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnc-g-code-arc-circle-g02-g03/

Seems that arcs greater than 90 degrees can sometimes cause confusion calculating centers when using radius, where as I,J,K specifies the center coordinate so no confusion.

In the worse case a radius command can specify more than 1 center.

Cheers

Peter

johnharvey

johnharvey
Quote from testyourdesign on January 3, 2020, 3:17 am

@johnharvey

On program line N10 you have G64, G50, G40, and G49 commands which are unsupported code. Have you tried using I and J option for programming G2 and G3? Was this code generated using a CAM program?

Cheers, Stephen Brown

I'll eliminate those un-used codes and see what happens. BUT, the Post generates R words for 180 degrees on one side then the other side of a circle, which is not a problem for so many circles of so many different sizes, but generally not the smaller ones, IE: under 3" it seems. This last program was the first time I had circles to profile. Also, posting this way my other machines have no issue using R words. I prefer R words because they are easy to read and or tweak by hand if needed on the machine. I J are not.

I did use the generic MASSO code on the Fusion 360 website for HSMworks inside of SolidWorks but this is what posts

Information: Configuration: MASSO
Information: Vendor: Hind Technology Australia
Information: Posting intermediate data to 'C:\1 H RECOVERY\1 GODHEIR\machine build\MASSO CONTROLLER BUILDS\MASSO POST TEST I J WORDS.TAP'
Information: Total number of warnings: 1
Error: Failed to post process. See below for details.
Loading locale from 'C:\Program Files\HSMWorks\locales\english_us.xml'
Code page changed to '1252 (ANSI - Latin I)'
Start time: Friday, January 3, 2020 5:27:18 PM
Code page changed to '20127 (US-ASCII)'
Post processor engine: 4.2.1 42270
Configuration path: C:\Users\ProtoAero\AppData\Roaming\HSMWorks\posts\masso-2.cps
Include paths: C:\Users\ProtoAero\AppData\Roaming\HSMWorks\posts
Configuration modification date: Friday, January 3, 2020 5:26:17 PM
Output path: C:\1 H RECOVERY\1 GODHEIR\machine build\MASSO CONTROLLER BUILDS\MASSO POST TEST I J WORDS.TAP
Checksum of intermediate NC data: 4eb8a6835785eb9d2c0a467f522d8a53
Checksum of configuration: 9d19f2ee892cd3f0b0c4983557e87e3c
Vendor url: https://masso.com.au
Legal: Copyright (C) 2012-2019 by Autodesk, Inc.
Generated by: HSMWorks 2020 R0.43580
Warning: Work offset has not been specified. Using G54 as WCS.

###############################################################################
Error: Unsupported 'suction' coolant.
Error in operation: '2D Contour1'
Failed while processing onSection() for record 380.

Error: Failed to invoke function 'onSection'.
Error: Failed to invoke 'onSection' in the post configuration.
Error: Failed to execute configuration.
Stop time: Friday, January 3, 2020 5:27:18 PM
Post processing failed.

pictures of

HSMWORKS IN SOLIDWORKS

HSMWORKS BACK PLOT

MASSO WITH R WORDS

MASSO WITH I J WORDS.

So thankfully I can post with I J words, BUT MASSO still should be able to swallow and process R words. The non masso supported G-codes didn't matter.

What's is so random is in this case the large circles would not be read by MASSO, in the previous job it was the smaller ones! Very random.

I'll try some helix's next.

BUT, I did find I could use I J words instead of R words, both back plot just fine

Attachments

• R-WORDS.PNG
    R-WORDS.PNG
    205.8 KB · Views: 11
  • R-WORDS.PNG
    R-WORDS.PNG
    205.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200103_123342.jpg
    20200103_123342.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200103_123312.jpg
    20200103_123312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

johnharvey

johnharvey
OK, so MASSO G3 must have only I J words for arcs. PERIOD. It's only luck if an R word works for anything over 90 degrees.

I just posted a bunch of pocketing using a helix as the entry ramp down with no problem in MASSO. Before MASSO would freeze and choke out needing a reboot, that's a serious crash! Simple R words on one plane would only "not process" and show this on it's screen.

I think there should be a sticky post covering all the known bugs as a "READ THIS FIRST" such as this one and others to help people new to MASSO from trudging through hundreds of posts and getting lucky, or not. ?

Another problem solved, but get the R word solved too!

john

Attachments

• helix-1.PNG
    helix-1.PNG
    210.6 KB · Views: 12

breezy

Arie
Staff member
@johnharvey

John,

The cause of failure from HSMworks
Warning: Work offset has not been specified. Using G54 as WCS.

Error: Unsupported 'suction' coolant.
Error in operation: '2D Contour1'
Failed while processing onSection() for record 380.

Error: Failed to invoke function 'onSection'.
Error: Failed to invoke 'onSection' in the post configuration.
Error: Failed to execute configuration.
Stop time: Friday, January 3, 2020 5:27:18 PM
Post processing failed
.​

is that the "coolant" variable is not complete, "COOLANT_SUCTION" has not been defined in the MASSO.cps. See topic from Mike Irving posts # 3&4 https://www.masso.com.au/forums/topic/question-about-m-codes/

Also there is code in the post processor that prevents the use of R word if full circle or helix
if (isFullCircle()) {
if (properties.useRadius || isHelical()) { // radius mode does not support full arcs
linearize(tolerance);
return;
}

Regards,

Arie.