Newbie with a CNC router with Masso controllers needs help

tf160

TF160
Hey all.. so I just purchased a CNC router that is using Masso controllers and need help. I've managed to learn how to home the machine using the touchplate but for the life of me I can't figure out how to home the Z axis to the top of the material prior to running a program with the touchplate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jeff

tf160

TF160
After watching a couple of videos I see that there is a probing button on the jog screen. This is used to home the Z axis to the top of your material prior to running the program. I do not have this button on my screen, how else would I do this?

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@tf160

The Probing Menu is available with V3.42 so you should ask @masso-support to send you the update so you can enjoy the benefits of the probing menu. But to answer your question...

The classic way to set your Z axis zero is to use a piece of paper to feel when the tool touches the part. To do this you very slowly Jogging the tool down to touch the piece of paper while sliding it in and out (spindle off of course) so that you can just feel it catch the paper. Once it catches the paper you stop jogging and set your Z-Axis to zero.

You have two options when setting the Z axis to Zero.

1- You can set it using a temporary work offset (G92) by pressing the Z button on the DRO.

2- You can save the location to the F4 work offsets screen by clicking on the G54 line and pressing Autoload for the Z axis then saving.

If you use the temporary offset it will only work for that one session. If you use the G54 work offsets it will be available for the next sessions. This method also works for the X and Y axis but you will have to compensate for the tool diameter.

Also you should check out the videos on the Masso Support Site and on the CNCNutz Masso Edition Youtube channel. Peter has done a great job of documenting the procedures for new users to learn.

Cheers, Stephen Brown

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from TF160 on September 28, 2019, 3:54 pm

Hey all.. so I just purchased a CNC router that is using Masso controllers and need help. I've managed to learn how to home the machine using the touchplate but for the life of me I can't figure out how to home the Z axis to the top of the material prior to running a program with the touchplate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@tf160

Hi Jeff, Welcome to the MASSO forum.

To zero Z using a touchplate you need to connect the touchplate to an MASSO input and set it up as per Touch Plate documentation. When you have the input changing state when you touch the plate to a tool mounted in the spindle, you run the following block of code.

(20)
(TOUCH ZERO CODE)

N10 G38.2 Z-45 F200
N15 G92 Z22.96
N20 G0 Z30
N25 M30
N30

This code uses the G38.2 command to probe down until the tool touches the touchplate. You need to adjust the Z & F settings to suit your machine. Z tells G38.2 to travel that distance to find the touchplate, if the touchplate is not contacted in that distance the command will error out. F sets the speed to probe at.

G92 sets the temporary offset to the Z value included in the command. This value is the thickness of your touchplate.

G0 Zxx moves the spindle up to xx position above the material.

M30 is stop and rewind the program code.

N30 is a blank line so that MASSO completes the M30 command.

If you name the code file autoloadx where x is a number between 1 to 6, then you can autoload it using one of the autoload inputs as per Automatically loading gcode file on Input signal going high

For Masso support to sent you the latest software update, the person who sold you the CNC machine needs to inform Masso support they have transferred the unit to you, so their emailing database can be updated. The seller needs to supply the MASSO serial number and the old email address and the new email address.

@testyourdesign Stephen,

I suggested Jeff come to this forum after he asked for help on the Router Forums.

Regards,

Arie.

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

If your looking for the latest software v3.42, just email Masso support and explain that you have purchased your Masso from another user and let them know ther serial number the new Email address to send the updates too. I would be very surprised if you had any issue at all doing this.

The software really belongs to the Masso unit not the person because it will work on the Masso with that serial number.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter