Pendant Issue

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
So I searched and haven't found this one yet.

I've got a pendant hooked up and has everything working the way it should with the axis and resolution going high when selected and the estops working just fine.

Problem is the handwheel doesn't move anything or show any high/low response on the setup screen. I've got the 24V regulated down to 5V like it asks for and I'm just not sure what else to check.

Anyone else run into an issue like this?

Thanks

Attachments

• handwheel.jpg
    handwheel.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 16

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
No signal change but I may have found the issue. Measuring the voltage at the pendant itself, I'm only getting around 3.8V. I'll work on getting that bumped up unless there is another thought.

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
So still not working even with 5v at the handheld unit itself.

Is there anything in these specs that would tell that it wouldn't work?

Package include:

1 x Pendant Handwheel with Emergency Stop

Handwheel Specification:

1) CNC system and position control of various mechanical devices

2) Metal code disc, high precision, good texture

3) Easy installation

Resolution:100PPR

Supply Voltage:DC5V +/-5%

Supply Current:?80mA

Output Voltage:?2.5V and ?0.4V

Output Current:<40mA

Fall/Rise time:?5ns(typ)

Switch:X1,X10,X100

Axis Switch:OFF,X,Y,Z,4

Response Frequency:0-10KHz

Ross

Ross
It looks like you didn't look very much!

I had the same problem and after buying a new hand wheel and different power supply's, still couldn't get it to work.

The best way to fix the problem is to throw it in the bin and forget it or if you are game enough buy a complete new one!

Just use a wireless keyboard much better i think! and not be tethered to your console!

This was my posting if you want to look it up from Ross.

MPG pendent stopped working. Any thoughts!​

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
So I do get a voltage change from both A and B to ground but still nothing showing on the F1 screen. Everything else on the pendent seems to be functioning fine.

Also, the voltage from A/B to ground goes negative when the wheel is turned. Is that what is expected?

Thanks

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Hi @bbvb1333

The output voltage from the pulse generator on the +A & +B will be +ve with respect to the 0V terminal of the MPG.

This is fed into an optocoupler so is polarity conscious though the reverse voltage won't damage it at 5 volts.

Check you -A & -B as they may be mislabeled

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
I was actually able to get a different 24v wheel from a guy at work that only has A&B available. So no issue with -A&-B to be misslabeled/wired or voltage regulation issues.

But from what your saying, I shouldn't be seeing the signal go negative when I spin the wheel then correct? Also, the voltage I'm reading is down in the -100 millivolt range.

Should I probably check the optocouplers? U36 U37?

Thanks,

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
The MPG you have now sounds similar to the one in the Masso Pendant.

Only connections. The measures output voltage on my MPG between 0V and A or B is about +9 volts and my Masso runs on a 12 volt supply.

To measure the voltage the dial position needed to be midway between a division and I was able to see the dial inputs on the F1 screen changing from low to high so I knew when I was getting a voltage to measure.

In the low state it was basically 0V which is what it looks like you are seeing.

The optocouples are U36 & U37 if you are using the G2. They will be different if using the G3

It is not impossible but unlikely that you have damaged them and unless they have gone short circuit then you should still see the output voltage on the MPG. Disconnect the A & B then take your readings and see what you get. Connect them once you are getting a voltage output.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Peter

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
Actually yes. I had to swap in a PNP style handwheel. I think most pendants come with a NPN, hence the issue.

johnharvey

johnharvey
Where did you source one if you don't mind my asking? I think I made the same mistake. No matter what I do the setup screen shows high all the time on the AB inputs. I'd prefer to use a 24v one to eliminate the 5v regulator and wiring outside of the db15 connector. I now have more time and $ than the original MASSO price for one I think!!!

How did you end up diagnosing the NPN vs PNP issue? I hadn't thought of that.

John

bbvb1333

bbvb1333
So contact the guys that sell the wheel in the link below and tell them you'd like the PNP version of it. I actually ordered the NPN version, asked them about a PNP version and they actually shipped me one for free. I'm also running it at the straight 24V and currently have no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PIAMLO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pieced the NPN vs PNP issue together from working through issues on an optical encoder for spindle speed.

Hopefully this helps

Brian

gvmdcg

gvmdcg
Hi

I purchased a pendent and had the same issue and I changed out the encoder with the item described above. I am getting good indication in the F1 screen. when I go to F3 screen the movements are very slow and moving little for the number of turns on the hand set. The movement is very jumpy. This is the case for X,Y,Z. any suggestions?

Rick

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Quote from gvmdcg on January 11, 2020, 4:43 pm

Hi Peter,

I have a G3

Thanks Rick

I logged a fault for jumpy movement when using the MPG on a G3 the other day so don't panic yet about the motion from your pendant as it might be software.

With the resolution switch on your pendant makes sure that when you switch it changes between resolution 1 ,2 & 3 with resolution 1 being the slowest and 3 being the fastest.

I notice you are several software updates behind. The current version is 3.43.2 for the G3

Cheers

Peter