post processors

inventure-guy

inventure guy
I can generate a DXF file on Solidworks showing a part profile but what do I do to get the g code generated to transfer to the lathe.

What post processor is recommended?

inventure-guy

inventure guy
That's just it

I can easily generate a drawing file on Solidworks but I'm seeking the best and most cost effective CAM software to generate the G code.

I checked into Dolphin but the reviews were awful

Now I'm exploring BobCam

Anyone have a recommendation?

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from inventure guy on October 2, 2018, 4:40 am

Anyone have a recommendation?

Don't know about individual CAM programs, I'm using Fusion 360 with the post processor supplied by MASSO.

Fusion 360, which is a combined CAD & CAM software package, is FREE for hobbyist use.

Regards,

Arie.

routertrav

routertrav
HSM Express is a free cam software that can be used inside of solidworks. It is basically the same program that Fusion 360 already has built in. I have used both and like both, but to be honest, I try to use Fusion 360 for all my cam work now. It just seems to flow a little better. As for post processor, use the Fusion 360 post that masso provides if using Fusion 360. If using any other cam program, use the standard Mach 2/3 mill post.

Hope this helps.

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@inventure-guy before diving into a paid program I suggest that you give these free versions a try.

If you are not familiar with CAM packages you will need to learn how to use them in order to create the G-Code program that runs the MASSO control. The CAM packages automate the selection the tools, adjust feeds and speeds, as well as the various setups and operations need to prepare the program. MASSO works with most Mach 3 post processors that come standard with CAM programs. Just make sure to enable the options for Optional Stop, G28 Safe Retracts, and use M6. Also make sure that the Radius Arcs option is disabled since Masso does not support this type of code.

I also suggest that you go to the NYCCNC web site to learn the basics of preparing your CAM program and how to machine parts. Their video library an excellent place to lear how to work with Fusion360 and provides a ton of tips and tricks to help you get started.