Proma thc z axis feed rate adjust

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Right now the Z axis will react at the maximum allowed feedrate as set in the Z axis setup in the F1-Setup screen.

Can you please let us know why and when you need to change this feedrate so that we can do something accordingly.

markwayts

markwayts
Well my z axis plunge rate is 150 ipm which is way too fast for the switching inside the proma thc and the masso to keep up with. The proma needs to run between 15 and 50 ipm and if i use maximum feedrate at 15 then my safe z moves my rapid moves my homing and my ref feed all have to slow to 15 ipm. Thats a pain cause my home is 8.75in from the top of my table

markwayts

markwayts
In the post processer for sheetcam you could tie it to the plunge rate in the tools settings. Or tie it to ref feed in the variables. Or you could use the peripheral feed rate from the path rules. I really don t know which would work better

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Ok, so do you know how this feedrate is set or defined in other systems separately maybe via some special gcode? or we can add another feedrate option in the THC settings in the F1 screen and when in THC mode then this feedrate will be used.

Will appreciate your input as we would like to see what will be easy and best option for you as as a user.

markwayts

markwayts
a setting in the f1 thc menu would be perfect. I have never been able to find a way to do what i need thru g code.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
ok, will this be a setting that needs to be done only once during machine setup and will need to change as per job?

markwayts

markwayts
I think once you set it you pretty much leave it. Maybe it would change on thicker metals or different metals but not very often.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
So this is something we need to check first because if the setting is done in F1 screen then some users wont have access to the F1 password and then they cant change this feedrate, before we can proceed we just want to make sure what would be the right way to do this so that it does not cause issues later.

jcoldon

jcoldon
torch hight control . needs a separate setting to control the ipm rate of the Z. I run a mach 4 plasma with a custom screen . THC reaction speed needs to be separate.

when the thc is active you need a setting to control the speed of the Z it needs to be slower then the normal rapid speed of the Z . once the user finds a set point they should not need to move the setting so it does not need to be controlled during a cut . if you can make it adjustable during a cut all the better

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
  1. So the first point is that we can try to see how we can add a slide bar on the screen to adjust it in real time, more like an override just for THC feedrate.
  2. Second point is that lets say you are cutting 10mm material and with the above slide bar find the perfect speed, so now in the future jobs you want this value to be set in gcode so that you dont have to remember it, specially useful for clients running production or different jobs. If the value can be set in gcode then you dont have to remember it, further it can be all set in SheetCAM and automatically set in output gcode file when you select the material.

Please share your thoughts on this and then we can implement a special gcode for THC feedrate.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
is anyone aware of a gcode used for something like this because its always better to use an existing gcode.

jcoldon

jcoldon
I simple slide bar adjuster will do fine... the speed the z reacts to the THC realy does not need to change . we just need to slow it down when using THC . so when moving to the next part the z moves at the normal speed setting ..

I run a mach 4 with thc now it has a slide bar for thc z movement speed I don't move it once its set

jcoldon

jcoldon
once you set it you dont have to keep moving it around . so say you set the thc like a 15 ipm movement. you leave it there. the reaction would be when thc is on it reacts at 15 ipm. the only time you would need to keep moving it around would be warped metal to get it right . or dimond plate .. then on the rapids the controller resorts to its normal z setting . say 200 ipm what ever you set it up at .. right now you have to lower the z setting ipm speed to slow down or the thc unit moves it to fast .. the problem is when it moves to the next cut it moves down to slow .. I hope this clears up the information your looking for. this is simple setup 1. keep z setting the way it is. 2. add a control to slow down the z when THC is on just a manual control is fine on the screen and have it retain its settings.

jcoldon

jcoldon
one last thing as far as I know sheet cam does not send torch hight control g codes to control the reaction speed of the Z when reciveing up down signals from the thc the controller does that with its thc feature . that's why you need a control for this

hope this helps thanks jeff c

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
great points @jcoldon, we had a discussion about this and if we extend the M667 code and also let F value pass through this then this can be easily done by gocde.

For example if you need to set your Z axis Feed in THC mode to 200 then you can give the below command and it can also be generated through SheetCAM:

M667 F200

By doing this the feedrate can be set in the gcode file depending on the type of cut.

jcoldon

jcoldon
that will be a pain to change. every time you need to change the thc feed rate you have to repost the part in sheet cam . or edit the gcode . you need a control on the screen to change the THC response for the z ... its that simple .. it the plasma world simple is better .. thc has enough problems on its own to get working right

not to mention were does the code have to go in sheet cam. the post processor. so now one would have to edit the post processor. or you going to put something in the cut path rules .. I get the idea to make it automatic with a g code. this need to be change easy even if you have to enter a number if a control is to much ..

markwayts

markwayts
If you use m667 f20 that changes all axis feedrates and slows down x and y axis way too much. Plasma has to be fast to keep warping at a minimum. I thought we were all on the same page.... we want a seperate setting in the f2 screen in thc options that sets z axis feed rate when m667 is called and plasma ark ok is high. And z axis goes back to normal any other time