proximity sensors

gok

GOK
I have some

LJ12A3-4-Z/BX Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch NPN DC6-36V.

first of all will they work with the Masso? also are there instructions as to how to install these with the masso ?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
You can wire the sensor as below:
  1. Brown wire to +ve of MASSO power supply.
  2. Blue wire to -ve of MASSO power supply.
  3. Black wire to any of the 32 inputs on the MASSO.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
once you wire the sensors, please first goto F1-Setup screen and manually trigger the sensors and make sure you see the status of the sensor input on the screen change from L to H.

lumpy2080

Lumpy2080
My sensor has ab led on it that lights up when triggered. I can make it light up when I bring my screw driver near the sensor head but the status on the MASSO screen does not change....may try reinstalling the masso software tonight.

lumpy2080

Lumpy2080
Actually what I have. Additional info...they previously worked fine. I had to remake a part for my DIY mill and made a "control enclosure".

I am re-wiring things back up and ran into the sensor issue yesterday. I'm 'hoping' a reload of the masso software will resolve it. I can see no other issue with the wiring. As I mentioned...the led indicator on the sensor itself does trigger when it comes in contact with metal....the masso just isn't "seeing" the status change.

iancortez

Iancortez
I may be wrong but I bought the same as you have, based on info here, but thinking about it if the inut needs to see a change from high to low, how will a sensor that is normally open and closes when activated sending a lo or V- signal work?

lumpy2080

Lumpy2080
Not certain but with the masso ability to change setting from H - L it was able to see the state change previously. I ordered a set you suggested but will also reload the software tonight and see if it makes a difference. It was working previously...so not real sure what the issue is at this point.

Anyway....thanks for the input!

iancortez

Iancortez
your welcome, fyi these type of sensors have a reduced range with aluminum, if your target surface is aluminum you may need to add a metal washer or screw, I just reduced the homing feedrate/speed.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
You can always invert the input signals of the sensors in MASSO settings. In the F1-Setup screen just select the input and press the space key to invert the input signal.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Quote from Lumpy2080 on April 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

My sensor has ab led on it that lights up when triggered. I can make it light up when I bring my screw driver near the sensor head but the status on the MASSO screen does not change....may try reinstalling the masso software tonight.

how much voltage do you run the sensors on and whats the output voltage of the sensor when measured while wired to MASSO?

lumpy2080

Lumpy2080
New sensors....new issue. I now get 'state' change when the gantry moves within the range of the sensor....I see a state change in the masso from Low to High.

Now when I try to home it "CNTRL-ALT-Home" it does not move (after manually jogging the gantry 100mm or so) but does set the current position to "Y" zero (plus 12mm my 'move off distance')

I have re-loaded the MASSO software V3.25 with no change.

lumpy2080

Lumpy2080
Odd note: seems this was caused by having the stepper controller set to 3200 instead of 1600 steps.

I went back through the setup bit by bit and found this. Now it home's correctly. Just proves that even though you may think it's right......go through it step by step and you'll find it....in my case anyway :)

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
great, thanks for sharing.

Also a quick note, unlike a PC you dont need to reload the MASSO software if you are having issues because the internal memory is verified and protected and its very unlikely that something in the software would have corrupted.

eondodge

EONDODGE
I may have the same problem. I have NPN omron sensor (model: TL-Q5MC1) but does not trigger from low to high in F1 screen. although the LED indicator show the sensor is triggered. It seems that that Iancortez is right. I just dont have an PNP sensor handy to try on.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
at what voltage u running the sensor and can you make a quick wiring diagram on how you have wired the sensor to MASSO and power supply

kiwicnc

KiwiCNC
Quote from MASSO Support on March 9, 2018, 10:02 am

You can wire the sensor as below:
  1. Brown wire to +ve of MASSO power supply.
  2. Blue wire to -ve of MASSO power supply.
  3. Black wire to any of the 32 inputs on the MASSO.

I am using Fotek PPL-05N NPN indutive proximity sensor in my design. When they go high, they transmit 12v on the black wire.

All good?

Cheers

Ray