Regarding usb connectivity

sourabh

Sourabh

Hey everyone,

I am using a masso controller for a 3 axis cnc machine. The problem with my controller is that it doesn't support any usb distributor. I cannot connect both keyboard, mouse and pen drive at the same time. Seems like it is unable to supply power to these 3 units at the same time. I am using very normal keyboard and mouse that are rated for few watts only, but seems it can't power it up. When i connect keyboard and mouse directly to masso, they work perfectly. I am using a 12v 20 amp power supply for masso and other small switches of my cnc. Please let me know if there are special requirements of the USB distributor that i can buy. I have tried it with USB 3.0 distributor also... But still the same problem.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
if you connect the pen drive and mouse then do they both work fine?

can you please share the make and model of all the USB devices ad USB HUB that you are connecting to MASSO

sourabh

Sourabh
If i connect mouse and usb directly to masso they work fine, if i connect any two of them directly to the masso then they work fine.

Keyboards that i have tried :

1. Intex duo 505

2. Prolite

Mouse: Adnet optical mouse

Usb hub : manzana digirootusb 2.0 hub

bictonmensshed

BictonMensShed
Quote from Sourabh on March 25, 2019, 4:15 am

Usb hub : manzana digirootusb 2.0 hub

Had a quick look at this hub it doesn't seem to be powered.

Virtually any powered USB hub will work with MASSO.

Regards,

Arie.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Hi Sourabh

If it helps on the Keyboard port I currently have an unpowered Hub, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse and it powers a VGA to HDMI converter via USB.

I measured the current draw and it is less than 300ma for the lot. I wonder if the combined current draw for your setup exceeds the maximum current of 500ma allowed with the USB 2 spec. I wouldn't think so but stranger things have happened. Like your setup mine is set up with a 12 volt PSU but mine is only 1.5 amp.

Do you have a way of measuring the current draw of what you have plugged into the port?

You mention that each works when directly plugged into Masso but does each work when plugged individually into your hub?

Cheers

Peter

sourabh

Sourabh
I have tried using a powered usb hub too. But as soon as i connect my pendrive (directly to the masso). This problem still occurs and the mouse goes offline and i have to reconnect it. I don't know what to do.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
@sourabh I think the main problem are the non branded/chinese USB devices. In an earlier post we have seen some clients mention this that the cheap non branded chinese devices cause all sorts of issues. As Peter mentioned that the current draw is very low and all our test machines use unpowered USB HUB's without any issues, its definitely not the current and most likely the USB devices causing USB data errors.

can you please try branded devices such as logitech.