Setting Up Masso with Sherline Mill

glenn

glenn
Hi - we've got everything wired, including X Y Z Homing Sensors, with these mounted to their relevant axes on the mill. The mill moves and jogs in the F3 screen as expected, so we know we are close.

When we initiate the homing sequence (Ctrl-Alt-Home) the machine only moves in the Z axis by -200mm, i.e it moves down towards the table.

After this, the X and Y axes don't move, we get a Homing Alarm.

I've noticed that although the sensors single red led will toggle on and off (when we interrupt the sensor manually) the status doesn't change from Low to High in the Masso Input area / F1 Setup Screen.

Values in our X axis: Travel Min 230mm, Travel Max 0

In our Y axis: Travel Min 130mm, Travel Max 0

In our Z axis: Travel Min -200mm, Travel Max 0 with 'Invert Direction' checked.

We've obviously got something wrong, look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Glenn

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
can you please goto the F1 screen and look at each homing input, then manually trigger each sensor and all sensors must show LOW when not engaged and only HIGH when engaged, please check and let us know what you find.

If a sensor show HIGH without engaging it then select that sensor input and press the space key on the keyboard to invert it.

glenn

glenn
Hi - checked this several times, sensor inputs do not go to high when we trigger the sensor, they are always Low / Green

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
  1. can you please share a quick wiring diagram of one of the homing sensors on how you have wired them up
  2. at what voltage are you running the sensors at
  3. does the LED status change on sensor when triggered?

glenn

glenn
Sensors are running off 24V, wiring as indicated by your wiring instructions ie,

Wiring input white wire into TTL outputs 1, 2 and 3 X is 1, Y is 2, Z is 3

+ 24v Brown

- 24v Blue

Sensor led goes out when triggered, is lit red all the time unless triggered, then it goes out.

thanks

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
"TTL outputs" are outputs, they are to give output signals from MASSO and not to be used for inputs. Hope nothing was damaged because this is totally wrong wiring.

Please remove the sensor signal wires from outputs from MASSO and wire them to the inputs (1 to 32) on the top side of the MASSO.

glenn

glenn
Hi

Ok, rewired that. No harm done as all axes are still moving in their respective directions. Homing sensors go from Low to High as expected in the F1 / Input Screen.

We've managed to get the mill going home, but with no pullback occurring on any axis and a Z hard limit alarm.

We've got homing feedrate at 200mm/ min and a pullback of 8mm. In the homing screen no axes are inverted, but we needed to reverse direction on X and Y (in the Axis settings screens) to get things to work as anticipated.

How do we achieve pullback and how do we get the Z Hard Limit to not occur. We've still got about 12mm of travel in the Z axis, no we're not right at the end of travel.

thanks,

Glenn

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
whats the homing feedrate and try to make it smaller.

When homing does your sensors overshoot? do they go past the trigger point by the time axis comes to a stop?

If the sensors overshoot and go low by the time the axis comes to a stop then it will cause the alarm.

when you press Z- to JOG, does the axis move up or down? it should move down.

glenn

glenn
Hi

We've had some success with homing, but we're not getting pullback, just a hard Z limit alarm.

As mentioned our feedrate is 200mm / min.

Sensors do not overshoot, they just won't pullback. We even tried a - value in the pullback to see if that worked, but no change.

-Z Jog is working correctly, the mill moves down.

I've attached a video here so you can see the machine moves and on screen dialogs.

thanks!

Glenn

Attachments

• masso-homing-sherline-mill-v2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 35

glenn

glenn
Here you go . . .

Attachments

• screenshot-homing-v1.JPG
    screenshot-homing-v1.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 22

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
thx, this looks ok. please also share the Z axis settings window.

Also, goto the Auto Tool Zero settings in the F1 screen and make sure its disabled.

glenn

glenn
Hi

Auto Tool Zero is disabled.

Z Axis settings screen attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• snip-Z-axis.JPG
    snip-Z-axis.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 21

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
your Minimum travel is greater than Maximum Travel and this is wrong. If you remember we told earlier to enter -120 for Minimum Travel and 0 for Maximum travel.

Please fix these values and your homing will be fixed.

glenn

glenn
Ok, this didn't help.

1 When we put these values in as requested: -120 for Minimum Travel and 0 for Maximum travel- This moves the Z axis down when homing, not up. (This is in fact the first time you've suggested these values.)

2 To correct this, I've inverted the Z axis, this makes the mill move correctly in Z. (-Z moves down) I did get pullback of 8mm on Z when homing - but now have a Y Hard Limit Alarm.

3 X and Y axes did not pull back, but have moved to the sensors and homed.

4 For information, the X homing sensor is positioned on the left hand side, the Y homing sensor on the front of the machine.

5 Not achieving pullback is our problem now on both X and Y. I've attached screenshots of both of these axis screens.

6 Homing feedrate is 200mm / min

Can we please have some detailed instructions on next steps?

thanks, Trevor

Attachments

• X-axis-screen.JPG
    X-axis-screen.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Y-Axis-screen.JPG
    Y-Axis-screen.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 20

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
In your setup, the axis orientation/movements are not correctly set as all the axis have to move in the right 3D space otherwise nothing will work.

as a test press the Y- JOG key when you are sitting in from of the machine, let us know if the bed moves away from you or towards you.

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Use the Left Hand Rule - thumb pointing up, index straight out and middle to the right - all fingers point in the positive direction, so all positive motion should be in the direction of the fingers.

Regards,

Arie.

glenn

glenn
Hi -

When I jog in Y- machine moves away from me when I sit in front.

X axis moves as Arie suggests (thanks for the tip)

regards,

Trevor