Sherline Masso non mechanical sensors

roeland

Roeland
Hi. I', trying to connect the Masso non mechanical homing sensors to the Sherline Masso unit and need some help. I connected the white wire to the relevant input pin of the db 9 connector (in case of the X axis to pin 1, the brown to pin 9 and the blue to the body of the connector for the negative. There 's power to the connector but no signal. Is the Sherline set-up different?

Many Thanks

Roeland

zombieengineer

ZombieEngineer
@roeland

Somewhat incomplete FAQ for the Sherline MASSO controller - disclaimer: I purchased a G3 controller for my Sherline mill, the FAQ is something I put together to collect useful bits of information to handle queries such as yours.

Can you please confirm the following using a voltmeter:

Proximity_Sensor_Troubleshooting.png

The first check is to ensure that your proximity switch is working before connecting it to MASSO (a small chance it is dead on arrival).

If you measure no voltage between White & Blue but you do measure voltage between Brown & White then you have a NPN style proximity switch which requires a pull-up resistor to work correctly with a MASSO G2 / G3 controller.

Attachments

• Proximity_Sensor_Troubleshooting.png
    Proximity_Sensor_Troubleshooting.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 28

roeland

Roeland
Hi,

Thank you for the feedback but I'm still confused - perhaps I do have a faulty unit.

The led is on (red) but does not change with the proximety of metal.

I measure :
  • accross the brown and blue wire I measure 23.9 volt
  • accross the brown and white wire without metal 0.1 volt
  • accross the white and blue with or without metal 23.9 volt

Regards

Roeland

zombieengineer

ZombieEngineer
@roeland

Although magnetic proximity sensors can detect most metals (steel, copper, aluminum) they are most sensitive to iron / steel.

Are you testing your sensor in free air or mounted? There is a possibility your mounting is triggering the proximity sensor.

roeland

Roeland
Hi,

It must be a faulty sensor - I used a alternative sn04-n2 sensor and this one works.

Many Thanks

Roeland