Sieg SX2.7 Spindle Control

ethan-downey

Ethan Downey
Hi all,

I need some help with connection my spindle control board to Masso. The stock SX2.7 has a 750w brushless dc motor with a separate digital speed control board. I have replaced this speed controller with a board purchased from "little machine shop" that replaces the old speed control and allows me to have CNC control.

Here is the link to the upgrade board.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4951&category=

And here is the link to the manual.
https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/instructions/4213CNCSpindleControlUpgradeKit.pdf

I can work out the AC and where Masso's pin 1 goes, but im stuck on the others? The upgrade board from little machine shop shows that Forward and reverse are shared?

Hope someone can help. Keen to get this spindle going! ?

Regards
Ethan

Attachments

• Masso-pins.JPG
    Masso-pins.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 27
  • 4213.JPG
    4213.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 26

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
so if the start input is connected to ground and F/R is also connected to ground then does the spindle start rotating in clockwise direction?

do you need to run your spindle in both directions?

ethan-downey

Ethan Downey
@masso-support unfortuenly my spindle isnt doing much at all. The motor wants to spin and i can feel that the encoder is trying to give the motor position feedback but failing. I testing all wiring and all seams ok. Im going to replace the atmega IC from the driver board as its the only thing i can think off.

I would love to have the spindle able to go both directions for tapping threads, If not than thats all ok, and i will just sort that out later when i upgrade the motor and driver.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
lets first verify that the spindle controller works, can you please disconnect all spindle control wires from MASSO and manually run the spindle first.

ethan-downey

Ethan Downey
@masso-support sorry i should have specified that this was without having it connected to MASSO and thats why i think its the IC as nothing else has changed other than extending wires.

I firstly tried troubleshooting the simplest connection as shown in the manual and there was no motor function other than what i mentioned above.

When i connected to the masso the same thing. My mate has a brand new driver that im going to borrow this afternoon.

ethan-downey

Ethan Downey
Unfortunately there has been no luck. I replaced the board and the ic and still the same result.

I again traced and tested all my wiring from the motor and encoder.

On the net it seams like alot of people have had issues with this "xmt-sk" board due to poor documentation. I did see that sieg themself use it in there KX1/3 cnc machine. I will contact sieg and see if they have a wiring diagram for the 750w motor controller with this xmt-sk board. If not i dont really know what else to try so i will look for an alternative.

ervinelin

ervinelin
Dear Ethan,

I am still shopping around for my CNC conversion and one of the things I cannot figure out is how to setup the spindle control for the SX2.7.

I was wondering if you managed to figure this out yet?

Thanks!

doddy

Doddy
Did anyone get anywhere with this?

I know enough of the SX2.7 to know that the interface from the pendant board to the main motor controller card is different from other Seigs (eg. SX2). I'm on the cusp of reverse-engineering the SX2.7 main controller board but would love to avoid this if someone has knowledge of how to otherwise control the 2.7 spindle.

...or would people be interested in the workings of the 2.7?

mb300sd

mb300sd
I'm working with Mach4 instead of Masso, but I reverse engineered the board and found a solution in case anyone's still looking.

Board schematic:

53TnIEm.png

There's a digital signal across the buttons, with the 1k ohm resistor acting as a pull up, so simply shorting to 5V does not work. However adding an optocoupler across the buttons does. I haven't figured out how to get my controller to pulse the on/direction and off buttons yet, but it's super simple with a microcontroller so I'm laying out a board that'll do it now.

The speed control is simply a voltage divider feeding 0-5V. Cut the wire and connect it to a SPDT relay to maintain manual control, and feed a standard 0-10v signal to it across a resistor divider.

doddy

Doddy
Similar, this is for the push-button pendant controller (i.e. no rotary control), and the motor control microcontroller.

/Users/mike/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 23.13.49.png

Attachments

• Screenshot-2021-03-02-at-23.13.20.png
    Screenshot-2021-03-02-at-23.13.20.png
    480.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot-2021-03-02-at-23.13.49.png
    Screenshot-2021-03-02-at-23.13.49.png
    688 KB · Views: 21

doddy

Doddy
...but if, like me, you blow the IGBT board up whilst trying to reverse engineer it, then it's as cheap for a 750W Chinese servo and controller which gives you full speed control for the same price as the replacement board.

mb300sd

mb300sd
I designed an interface board if anyone is interested. Takes spindle forward/reverse and 0-10v speed. Will offer them for sale once it's tested.

Solders directly on the back of the original board and provides a header for the signals.

HXjhYWCl.jpg

redwhitegreen88

redwhitegreen88
Quote from mb300sd on April 5, 2021, 3:28 pm

Boards are in and tested to work ?

Very clean install.

LxGuo57h.jpg

Hi MB300SD, do you still have any of these boards available? Has anyone tried one with any success?

I wish I thought of spindle control before I bought my LMS6500 (sieg 2.7). Been having a rough time trying to sort that out.

mb300sd

mb300sd
Quote from redwhitegreen88 on October 27, 2021, 11:21 am

Hi MB300SD, do you still have any of these boards available? Has anyone tried one with any success?

I wish I thought of spindle control before I bought my LMS6500 (sieg 2.7). Been having a rough time trying to sort that out.

Working great. I think I replied to you on the other site, let me know if that wasn't you.
Quote from Ethan Downey on October 27, 2021, 11:33 am

@mb300sd I saw your machine on another forum. What angular contacts did you fit to your spindle? Thanks

I want to say the top and bottom were both 7907A5TRDULP4Y from my ebay history. I believe I had to get some shims from mcmaster.

redwhitegreen88

redwhitegreen88
I sent another PM just a heads up, I have the CNC pretty much hooked up just waiting on the spindle board! I will post back here once I get your board and report on functionality in case anyone else is interested.