spindle still ON even you put on hold the program

pinoy-cnc

Pinoy CNC
Hi,

i just done testing my controller and run a gcode that i done in the mill masso wizard but every time i put in hold the program (stop) the spindle is still on.

on my understanding that if you put the program on hold it will go up on your z axis and stop the spindle. but i cannot see on the manual on how to do this.

i need a little help on solving this problem.

thanks

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
When using feedhold, the spindle will always be running and only the axis motion will stop. The Z or any other axis will not move because for example you can be thread milling and it will damage the part or the tool. This is the standard way how feedhold works.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
On a tool change MASSO will automatically stop the spindle and move the Axis up to the set Z value or even move to the desired X and Y value.

Do you manually change the tools on your machine?

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
  1. Goto F1-Setup screen
  2. Double click Tool Changers in the Function Settings list
  3. Select Manual tool change, press enter for manual tool change settings
  4. Now you can enter the X,Y and Z axis locations and options to enable the locations.
  5. Every time there is a tool change command, for example T4 M6 then the system will stop the spindle, move Z axis up to the desired position that you setup above, show a message on the screen to change tool, after changing the tool press cycle start and spindle will start and Z axis will move down for machining.

patchlead

Patchlead
What would be the correct procedure to re Zero the Z axis after a M6 command? assuming there is no auto length setup or the like (the old paper trick).

I am trying to move to the jog commands moving to Zero and then I was planning on hitting the zero Z axis button, but it is disabled. Also after jogging the CNC, the program will not restart. I'm running the ALPHA firmware, 3.29.1a. Is there any updates yet?

thanks

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
  • once you touch a position, hitting Z zero button will set that position as Z0.00
  • Please note that you should do this before running your file as this cant be done while running the file.

patchlead

Patchlead
Exactly, So how do you do a tool change without a fancy tool changer, and zero the new tool in the middle of a program.

I basic spindle that will not put the tool exactly in the same height each time you change, its a random Z position. I do the above method at the start of the program, but it's locked out during the middle.

patchlead

Patchlead
I've watched that one many times. I would like to be able to set it somehow without the Auto setter.

So are you indicating there is no manual way to do so, and you are require to use the auto tool setter method described in the above video?