Starting from scratch and will need help and direction

waynep

waynep
I built a Gatton CNC and it was easy and well simple. Everything was plug and play and run. Now I am looking to move up and on to something bigger and more reliable so Masso, here I am. I have no real electrical skills and don't understand most of what i have read about wiring, resistors, etc. So far I have purchased a 1000x1500 frame, 4 nema 34 closed loop motors with drivers and power supplies, a 1.5kw spindle with vfd, Masso G3, keyboard, mouse and monitor., 1/2" leadscrews The very first question is wht power supply to buy to run the Masso? Lookin on Ebay there are many sizes and prices. (Mean Well RD-125-1224 AC to DC Power Supply Dual Output 12 Volt 24 Volt and Amp) to big to small?

As you can see this is going to be a long hard journey for me so anyone willing to help/mentor I'd really appreciate it.

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
@waynep

The Masso controller does not use much power. According to the Masso documentation, it needs a minimum 1.5 amp power supply. The 3.7 amp power supply you chose should be fine for running your controller and associated accessories. I recommend keeping the power supply that runs the motor drives separate from the Masso controller and use shielded wiring between the drives and motors to help isolate the electrical noise from the Masso controller. Since you have limited experience its best to go through the tutorial videos and read through the Masso documentation so you can start getting familiar with the details.

Cheers, Stephen Brown

waynep

waynep
Thanks Stephen, I have been reading and watching the videos and training My problem is they are not really basic basic so that's what I struggle with. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, we'll see.

testyourdesign

testyourdesign
Well the good news is that we are here to help. First thing to start with is to draw up a wiring diagram showing all the components and connection points. Once you have a rough draft you can upload a picture here so we can review it for you.

Stephen Brown

segoman-designs

SegoMan DeSigns
Quote from waynep on December 4, 2019, 4:11 pm

I may have bitten off more than I can chew, we'll see.

You don't learn how to swim in the wading pool do you? Start out with what you know and go from there the rest will follow..

waynep

waynep
Thanks Guys, I don't plan on giving up but this isn't jumping into the wading pool, this is off a 30' cliff into unknown waters. LOL

breezy

Arie
Staff member
Quote from waynep on December 4, 2019, 6:42 pm

Thanks Guys, I don't plan on giving up but this isn't jumping into the wading pool, this is off a 30' cliff into unknown waters. LOL

It may seem like a 30' cliff but if you move in slow steps and ask here when you have questions, everything will fall into place.

Stephen has given you good advice, draw up a rough connection diagram, no need to identify every wire and connection, just what needs to connect to where and post it here, so we can point out any errors.

Regards,

Arie