Tool Setter touch off plate add plate thickness to set zero at bottom of plate?

madcnc

Madcnc
It would be really helpful if you could add a entry field to the Auto tool zero form so one could enter the thickness of the touch plate and be able to set the bottom of the plate as Zero instead of the top that way you could place the touch plate on top of the job and set the job surface as zero.

Is this doable ?

MadCnc

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Hi MadCnc

The toolsetter plate is a reference surface and needs no measurement. It is used to compare tool lengths and calculates the tool offset.

The probing feature is what you want to use and you can enter the plate thickness into the Z Offset box on the probing screen. This makes the bottom of the plate the value shown in the SetZ box which is usually left at 0.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Peter

airnut

Airnut
Pete,

Perhaps I am missing something here.

I watched your video on the tool setter plate. The simple block of Aluminum and wiring is very simple and doable. However, I think in my case doing so would be a problem. I can not see how it would work on a metal table. The only thing that makes any sense is one would have to glue a insulator on the bottom of the block else it would be in a touch position when ever it was placed on the table. Y/ N ?

Regards,

Steve

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Got it in one Steve.
You just need to glue some thin plastic sheeting or similar to the bottom to insulate it.

Cheers
Peter