Torch Touch and Z axis move Queston

cncburn

cncburn
How does the Torch touch switch (floating head) work? I understand the mechanical operation, but when does the Masso use the signal? For instance: If I load a file created in Fusion 360 Cad/Cam. I use a Torchmate Post Processor, and the program doesn't recognize my Z zero. If I use the Hypertherm Post Processor, It runs, but it stays at the Z zero, and it never moves down to the work. Do I have to edit the POSTS, to use a command to find the torch touch point? Also, is there a better Plasma Post Processor to use with the Masso? I do not have the Plasma operational yet, but I am trying to use a pen attachment to simulate the operation until I learn a little more. Thank you.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
does your gcode has the G38.2 gcodes? because this is required to automatically zero the Z axis on top of the workpiece.

jcoldon

jcoldon
I believe he asking when the torch touch switch is active were does the masso get its height setting information from. Torch touch should be an IHC sensor (initial height cense) to tell the masso what Height the metal is at. Every time the torch lowers and activates the switch. What you re saying it references the z settings. once the z is homed.... in most plasma systems the IHC sensor goes active the controller has a setting you put in to rise The z once it receives the signal from the switch .. so if I don t home the masso z just zero it out its not going to work unless I zero the z every time I start a cut . is this correct .

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
yes so once the machine has been homed including Z axis (moving up to home) then to find the top of the workpiece we use the G38.2 command, this moves the axis down till the signal is received from the touch switch, then axis stops and we assign this as our Z0.00

cncburn

cncburn
Thank you everyone for the help. My main question was answered; To make the torch height switch active, I have to have G code in the post. My machine does home to the top of the Axis. But I need to modify the POST to reference the G38.2. The next question would be: Is there a POST for Fusion 360 and Masso yet? For now, I am playing with the Torchmate Generic POST, and trying to modify it to work. I'm pretty new to this and it has been quite an experience.

cncburn

cncburn
Finally got some Torch Touch (probing) G code to work with my table. I hope this will help someone else.

G20
G04 P100
G38.2 Z-7.5 F30
G04 P100
G92 Z0
G0 Z.5
G04 P500
G38.2 Z-7.5 5
G04 P100
G92 Z.5
G0 Z.7

M30

General Info:

My Z homes to the top, then moves down about 7" before the floating head switch activates. Part of my original issue, was that I had the Homing numbers in the travel limits reversed. I also initially had the Z travel (after the 38.2) set too high. It had to be set less than the normal bottom travel limit so there is no touch alarm before the program can zero out the axis.

Thank you to Masso, and JColdon for the advice. I'm following the progress of several people on the Forum, and find it very helpful.:)

Attachments

• Z-axis.jpg
    Z-axis.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Thanks for the info @cncburn and if you are using the plasma version of the MASSO software then you can also enter the offset value of the torch touch to your switch/sensor in F1-Setup screen under Torch Height Control settings.