VFD connections

gmarsh1

gmarsh1
Having trouble with my VFD to Masso connections .. I can't get the Masso to run the spindle motor in both forward & reverse from an M3 /M4 command.

I know the VFD is operational because Forward & Reverse & Speed Control all work fine from the VFD control panel ..

It's when I try to connect to the Masso that I run into problems .. I can get either M3 OR M4 to work depending on which wires I connect to spindle terminals #6 & #7 .. but I cannot get either M3 or M4 to work when connected to spindle terminals #4 & #5

My VFD is a brand new Hitachi WJ200 .. I have studied & re-studied the Masso wiring diagram for Hitachi drives .. I have studied the Hitachi manual to make sure all settings on the VFD are correct .. and as previously stated, it seems to me the spindle terminals #4 & #5 are not functioning.

Please advise, Thank You

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
The VFD can be controlled by many different means, if it works with the buttons but not with other signals then it means that the parameters are not set correctly on the VFD.

See this video:

Also its a good idea to first make the VFD run by just connecting the wires on the VFD and once running then wire to MASSO.

PIN 1 IS THE SPEED 0-10V PIN 7AND 5 HAS TO BE CONNECTED TO A 12 OR 24 VOLT GROUND FROM THE DRIVE TO WORK .

gmarsh1

gmarsh1
Thanks for the reply ..

As originally stated I do have the drive operating correctly and running my spindle motor from it's own keypad, using both the arrow buttons and even a pot for speed control. I had viewed the video you linked several times prior to asking for help on the forum. Following all the steps in the video, in the Hitachi manual, in the Masso documentation .. things are still not working as they should. I've also watched John Lambert's video explaining his setup and have tested the signal pins in both directions to make sure I'm not having the same issue he had. Still No Joy.

If I can't get this think going I'll be back seeking more help .. I absolutely have to have software control of the spindle in my cnc mill.

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
Ok, I wasn't sure if you have the signals working, so this is good.
  1. Please leave a pot connected to first control the speed.
  2. Make sure the pot is on a position that the motor will run as soon as FWD signal is received.
  3. Next, if you have the two wires of the FWD signal on the VFD that you connect together and it makes the motor spin, connect these two wires to Pin 4 and Pin 5 of the spindle connector on MASSO.
  4. In F1-Setup screen under Spindle settings make sure VFD mode is selected.
  5. Now check that there are no flashing alarms on the F2 screen and give a MDI command M3 and then M5 to see if the motor runs.
  6. If it does not run then swap the two wires on Pin 4 and 5 and again give the MDI commands.

gmarsh1

gmarsh1
OK, I've followed the above instructions and have a very interesting outcome ..

I have 3 wires coming off the VFD (L=green, #1=Yellow, & #2=Red) .. touching either the (L+1) OR (L+2) together = the spindle rotates CW or CCW at the speed determined by the pot.

If I attach either pair to Pin 4 & 5 .. M5 STARTS rotation & M3 STOPS it. (swapping the wires on the Pins does not change this)

If I attach either pair to Pin 6 & 7 .. M3 starts rotation & M5 stops it ..

So using Pins 4 & 5 = The start & stop commands are backwards of what they should be???

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
So you are using the sink logic setup.

Can you try the source logic setup because this will invert your signals.

gmarsh1

gmarsh1
Glad to give it a try ..

Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly .. along with my #1 & #2 wires .. where should I take the third wire from?

YES, that did it! .. one direction was inverted & the other wasn't. Changed back to the sinking setup & put all wiring back to your documentation diagram. Everything working fine now.

Still have to work-out some bugs in the rotary encoder which is attached 1-1 directly to spindle motor. Motor & BT30 spindle are belt driven @ 1-1 also.

The 100 ppr encoder only reads up to about 4500 RPM and then starts showing less & less rpm as I continue to speed the spindle up more & more to its 8000 rpm max. I also have a 720 ppr encoder. Do you think that will help in this situation? Encoder is also not reading exactly what I am calling for with my S command either, but I believe I can make some adjustments to the VFD to align actual rpm with called for rpm.

Thank you for your help on this one .. I've got to get all these kind of issues worked out before I start putting the machine back together.

Gary

masso-support

MASSO Support
Staff member
that's great news.

For the encoder, its mainly needed for threading option on lathes. With the encoder there are a few internal settings that needs to be changed to filter out the signals at high RPM's.