Z axis going down as it is running

rroie

rroie
I am trying to machine a dome with carving on top and it keeps going too deep. I checked the Z zero when done and it had gained .5 inch. Down negative value. Re zeroed the z axis and let it run for a little while and it gained 2 mm. I have masso set for inches but the DRO is in MM.

Thank You

Roie

cncnutz

CNCnutz
Staff member
Hi rroie

If your Gcode is in metric and contains the command G21 Masso will change to metric while machining the job. G20 or a power reset will take you back to imperial. If you want to machine in imperial then use an imperial post processor.

If you are loosing steps on your Z axis check for a mechanical fault on your Z axis or check your acceleration settings for the Z axis. If you are new to 3D machining it is common to find that a machine that works ok on 2D machining will loose steps while 3D machining. The biggest culprit is acceleration set too high.

Cheers Peter

rroie

rroie
OK, got the DRO to imperial. Post processor in Aspire set to Masso ATC (mm) (*.nc). Forgot about that one when I changed Aspire and Masso to imperial. Working on the loosing steps problem. Did not know what to call it.

Thank You

Roie

rroie

rroie
OK, found the problem, I hope. The Z axis stepper coupling was slipping on the ball screw. Ordered new coupling. We will keep fingers crossed.

Thank You

Roie